Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean bat poo off a Merbau deck?

Heffa76
Just Starting Out

How to clean bat poo off a Merbau deck?

I have recently built a large open Merbau deck coated with Cabot's Aquadeck Natural Decking oil (3 coats)

Unfortunately my backyard is under the flight path of 3 bats who like to occassionaly  splatter random presents.

Considering the time and expense of my new deck, what is the best way to remove the bat poo found on the deck without causing damage/stains ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bat Poo off a New Merbau Deck

Hi @Heffa76,

For general cleaning of a deck, Cabot's 1L Everyday Deck Wash is a suitable product to use. However, bat droppings are highly corrosive and very likely to cause staining if not removed immediately. It would be my suggestion to consider methods of trying to minimise the deck's exposure to the droppings. Perhaps a large shade sail could be hung above the deck and taken down periodically to clean, or there are some quite budget-friendly pergolas that could be constructed over the area.

A couple of new tools to the market that will aid in your removal of droppings would be the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Telescopic Pole Scrubber and the Ryobi 18V ONE+ Powered Outdoor Surface Cleaner.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects