Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace timber steps in the tropics?

jdavis
Just Starting Out

How to replace timber steps in the tropics?

I live in the wet wet tropics and my front outdoor steps are rotting. 
I need to replace them, but don’t know what timber this is or what work to replace it with. 
The steps are always shaded and constantly wet. 

We are more concerned with longevity than cost. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

• what timber do you

image.jpg

think this is? 
• what timber should we replace it with? 
•best sealing option once the new ones are in place. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: whst timber is this and what should i replace it woth!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jdavis. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing timber steps.

It's a little hard to determine if this is treated Pine or hardwood. If you weren't in the tropics, I'd say Pine due to the decay, but hardwood could also have decayed under extremely damp conditions. The more important question is what it can be replaced by. The most convenient options would either be 240 x 45mm 1.8m Stair Tread H3 Treated Pine Domestic Use or 240 x 42mm 0.9m Stair Tread Hardwood Merbau Domestic Use - 900mm. For the Hardwood, the team at your local Bunnings store's Special Orders desk will need to call their local timber supplier to source a stair tread that is wide enough for your use.

I've spoken to our team in a wet tropical zone, and their concerns were predominantly with termites. Given this, I suggest you go with H3-treated Pine as it has protection against termite attacks. Regarding increasing the lifespan of treated Pine, I would recommend oiling it frequently, such as at least twice a year, to ensure the timber fibres are filled with oil which will prevent them from absorbing water and beginning to decay.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects