Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean plastic outdoor chairs

Russ42
Building a Reputation

How to clean plastic outdoor chairs

We have some plastic outdoor chairs which we bought from Bunnings. They are getting a black colouring which looks like mould. Also they have a plastic smell. We like the look and comfort of the chairs. Can you suggest a remedy for us. We have tried bleach and various other cleaning products.

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean plastic outdoor chairs

You could try white distilled vinegar and leave it on the chair for an hour @Russ42. You can then follow up with a second application. However, this would be a milder solution than using bleach. Since the bleach didn't get the mould off, I don't believe vinegar will have much chance of budging it.

I'd suggest making up a slurry of Vanish Oxy-Action Napisan and applying it over the staining if you have some. That stuff seems to remove stains out of anything. My wife discovered with delight that it whitens grout in the bathroom. I presume it's the peroxide content that causes the whitening. Make sure to do a test section in an inconspicuous location. Leave it on for ten minutes before scrubbing and rinsing it off. You could also try 30 Seconds 1L Outdoor Cleaner Spray, but once again, do a test section.

Here's a helpful guide on How to protect outdoor furniture.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitch. On letting C know your solution she informs me Exitmould does the trick but the mould (if indeed that is what it is) keeps returning. She can be very annoying sometimes. Got a long term solution which doesn't involve taking the chairs to the Tip Shop? We have 12 of them....

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Mojo All Weather Outdoor 6 Stack Chair Furniture Cover could keep the weather off them and avoid the need for such regular cleaning @Russ42.

I believe the issue is likely that the mildew is getting into the plastic pores. You could clean the seats down well and coat them with a carnauba wax car polish. That would hopefully seal the pores in the plastic. Or, you could spray them with a White Knight 310g Crystal Clear Acrylic Clear Gloss. I'm not sure how long that spray would last in the weather extremes seen on your balcony.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitch, will try the wax but it could go badly wrong if I can't get it off if it doesn't work. Should be OK to get off. We are by the beach so the prob not try the paint, although as a last resort, we may. We try to remember to bring the chairs indoors but they are in the road inside. A cover may be worth a try too.

Thanks for your replies, Mitch

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects