Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean poured limestone path?

johnmisk2021
Getting Established

How to clean poured limestone path?

how to clean poured limestone path eg detergent type and power washer pressure.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean poured limestone path?

Hello @johnmisk2021

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cleaning poured limestone paths.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your limestone path? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make suggestions on how to clean it.

Limestone has a very porous surface and when cleaned too vigorously could damage its surface or leave it open to even more dirt and debris. I often recommend sealing limestone with Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent once it has been properly cleaned.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

patio photo 1.jpgpatio photo.jpgpatio 3.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @johnmisk2021

Thank you for posting those photos of your limestone path. I suggest using 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate in combination with an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush or similar. I recommend using only your garden hose to wash off the path as a power washer will damage the surface of the limestone. 

Once the path is clean and totally dry, I recommend sealing it with Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi EricL, Thank you for your advice. 30 seconds  proved great for removing algae, coverage was as per label. Now to sealing as recommended. Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @johnmisk2021

I'm glad to hear that the 30 seconds did a great job of removing the dirt and algae on your path. Please note that before applying the sealer to your path, it's important to make sure that the weather will be sunny with no chance of rain for the whole day. 

Once you've sealed your path, please don't forget to post a photo of the finished project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what the path looks like once it has been sealed.

Thank you very much for the update.

Eric

Hi, the user manual says that it is not suitable for horizontal surfaces. Would the following not be more suitable? 

Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @meintjes24. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

Great pickup there! You are entirely correct that the Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent would be the correct product for this purpose, as it is suitable for both reconstituted and cut limestone paving on a horizontal surface.

I'll update the discussion to reflect this correction.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects