Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean stains on patio tiles from planter box?

Nerphy
Just Starting Out

How to clean stains on patio tiles from planter box?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for removing these stains on my patio. They were caused from the plastic planter boxes I had sitting there. I have tried various things but the stains have not budged. I've tried 30 second cleaner from Bunnings, bicarb soda & vinegar, dish soap and hot water & scrubbed like mad, I also used a Karcher pressure cleaner in combination with these things. I'm wondering if something in the planter boxes actually leached out and caused some corrosion in the tiles so will not be able to be removed.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it - it's a rental property so I'd like to be able to remove them.

A few pics, the planter boxes that caused the staining and a picture of some of the stains.

Thanks

20240329_165816_1.jpg20240329_183721_2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean stains on patio tiles from planter box?

Hello @Nerphy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about removing the stains on your patio tiles.

It's possible that it is a mineral or limescale deposit that has stained your tiles. I propose testing CLR Ready to Use 750ml Calcium Lime Rust Remover. But I suggest testing a small portion first before you commit the entire area. I recommend placing your planter in another spot if possible.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nerphy
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the idea but unfortunately it hasn't worked. No worries, I think it's probably not fixable by now.

Shane

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nerphy (Shane)

I'm sorry to hear that CLR did not work. I'm afraid stronger chemicals might damage your tiles further instead of cleaning the stain off. Perhaps you can use a nice Madras Link 40x70cm Welcome Embossed Outdoor Coir Mat to cover the stain.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects