Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close gaps between brick wall and concrete?

nsavi
Growing in Experience

How to close gaps between brick wall and concrete?

Guys 

What must I use (and how) to close these gaps at the edge of the brick wall and the concrete floor outside of the house.

This is how it is all around and I suspect the ants and mice are entering through this.

I want to fill these with some of pesticide and close.

Suggestions please.

Screenshot_20210828-094629_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210828-094633_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close these gaps

Hi @nsavi,

This is a common question we get as houses with a concrete slab abutting their brick wall all need an expansion joint. This joint is there to stop your house and concrete slab cracking. If you were to follow that joint down, you'd hit the soil. The bricks would also most likely continue down to a solid concrete slab. I can't see any reason why mice or even ants could access the inside of your home via that route. I would, however, be more concerned about that weeper hole in the brickwork. Does it have any mesh in it? If not, that could potentially be an access point for both mice and ants. If there is nothing in these holes, I'd suggest inserting Weepa Termite Protector Weep Hole Screens. They'll help exclude mice and are also impregnated with Bifenthrin which will deter ants.

The rubber-like material is polyurethane sealant, and we stock Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant. Due to the quantity you'll need to fill these gaps, I suspect the most economical method would be with a Sika Professional Sausage Caulking Gun and Sika 600ml Concrete Grey Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant

Pesticides you could use are Richgro 1kg Ant Killa Insecticide Granules and RATSAK 224g Rodent Naturals Rodenticide Bait Pellets.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects