Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover concrete and tiles?

JessicaP
Just Starting Out

How to cover concrete and tiles?

Hey all.

We have 3 different textures to cover approx 85m2 (spraycrete approx $7000 🙄) we would like to make it all match in colour but not sure of the best way to go about it... 

Any advice welcome. Tiles do not appear to be glazed? These are the 3 different areas we are dealing with.   

20220516_164640.jpg

20220516_164630.jpg

20220516_164532.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover concrete/ tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JessicaP. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hard surface coatings.

If you paint the two concrete areas, the colours will match, but you might notice a slight texture difference. However, the tiles might be an issue as they look to be glazed. Before you paint any surface with concrete/paver paint, you need to check the porosity by placing some water droplets on the surface. If they are readily absorbed into the tile within 15mins, then the surface is porous and can be painted. If the droplets bead and sit on the top, then the tile is glazed. I am not aware of any products suitable for coating exterior glazed floor tiles.

What's under the tiles? Is it a continuation of the concrete slab in the other images? If you wanted all surfaces to look identical and painted in the same colour and product, you might consider removing the tiles and grinding the glue off and the concrete back flat. 

If you were even considering removing the tiles, I'd highly recommend that you investigate paving over the entire area with natural stone pavers. They are durable, stain-resistant, easy to clean and stand up well to heavy foot traffic. If you were willing to D.I.Y. the paving, you'd end up with a highly luxurious look for less than the price of the Spraycrete. I'd consider tiles a better long-term investment in the property's value than a sprayed on product. If it sounds like tiles/pavers are what you're after, check out this helpful step-by-step guide on How to tile an outdoor area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects