Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to erect bamboo screening?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to erect bamboo screening?

We have some willow screening on our back fence.    The super8 fence had a metal capping on it, and there was a long piece of wood attached to the capping and the screening was stapled to it.   The wood was very old and crumbling so I removed the screening and replaced the wood but how should I attached the screening?  I don't have one of those staplers.   Should I just nail it on with nails that have a wide head?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: erecting bamboo screening

I'd suggest using galvanised staples @ennoh. If you've aligned the timber with the top wire used to hold the screening together, then it should be as simple as placing the staple over the wire and hammering it into the timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

I bought some trojan 12mm staples - heavy duty.  I supposed they are mostly used in nail guns, but I don't have one.     The ends of them are flat and not  like a nail end - will these still go in OK if I hammer them in or is there a better type?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh,

I apologise if there was confusion. I referred to the item as galvanised staples which could have led you astray. They are actually called Galvanised Staple Nails. These staple nails can be driven in with a hammer and have pointed ends. They are also much more heavy-duty than standard staples.

Mitchell

ennoh
Building a Reputation

ahhh.... i will return what I bought.   The attendant in the toolshed wasnt real helpful :unhappy:   Would these be in the toolshed or down another aisle?  I will be at the myaree store

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ennoh

My apologies if you did not receive the information you were after at the store. If you're going to the Bunnings Myaree store it is located in Isle 29, bay8. These types of staples are often grouped along with the Dynabolts and Nails.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bamboo screening fixed in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

ennoh
Building a Reputation

I started using the galvanised nails but at some parts the existing willow was sort of bent and it needed a lengthier nail to fix it to the wooden beam which is affixed to the metal fence capping - so for those parts I used normal nails with wide flat heads and it worked a treat.   There isnt a stabilising bar at the bottom so it would otherwise bang around in the wind - so I have put in some wooden stakes for the time being and I will see how it goes.     I am just about to plant a row of fruit trees in front of the willow so if it doesn't look perfect, no one is going to see it anyway :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds excellent, @ennoh. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects