Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill deep awkward holes on corner brickwork?

kk2172
Just Starting Out

How to fill deep awkward holes on corner brickwork?

CAFC868C-98A2-4AF7-A172-5C287F0C7038.jpeg

D41868CE-9630-4A0B-8D2A-74BCAA4F8E07.jpeg

  

  

Hi - recent downpour has identified a massive water leak which upon exploration appears to be coming via  the channel on top of the footing and down into a large hole where previous  owners have added a brick wall/ stairs. I’ve dug  down to expose the brickwork and the hole is pretty deep - it appears that some bricks have been removed to put in the wall. This lets water in during heavy rain.

ideally I’d like to plug the hole rather than pulling all of the internal wall apart which I do t think will help me get to the other side of the hole anyway.

I intend on putting in a sump pump to ensure any future deluges are suitably captured but need to fill the hole which is awkward to get into - any advice would be appreciated - see pics

0E06B01B-FF48-463F-A1EC-C9351DE6BF26.jpeg

0E68B5FD-FB1D-4E33-B4C9-D2DD9D4E1EA1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: filling deep awkward holes on corner brickwork

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kk2172. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing this gap.

If you don't want to pull the wall apart, I'd presume the next best thing might be to fill the void with some smaller brick pieces and expanding foam. Once the foam has set, you can build up some formwork in front of the brick and fill up the remaining void behind it with Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete. When that has dried, you'll be able to apply a Crommelin 1L Exterior Grade Brushable Waterproofer to seal the lower portion of the wall and your repair.

What's the pipe sticking up there? If it's stormwater, you'd be much better off installing some Agline here and directing it straight into the pipe than having to deal with a sump pump.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: filling deep awkward holes on corner brickwork

Thanks Mitchell appreciate your advice - the idea with the dump pump

was to ensure that no water can enter the downstairs bathroom and flood the carpet ( which is what happened) the downpour saw streams of water coming from the wall into the shower / toilet so fitting a sump pump was more for piece of mind - evacuating the water into the pipe as pictured - I figured a sump pump wasn’t much more trouble than running a full aection of at across the entire back of the wall yet to be dug - clay soil so already have a hernia 🤣

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects