Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill large gap between window and brickwork?

BiancaR
Getting Established

How to fill large gap between window and brickwork?

I have just noticed a large gap between my bedroom window and the brickwork.  The gap starts at 1.5cm at the bottom and increases to about 2:5cm at the top.  Any ideas on how to fill the gap would be appreciated.

35386782-1730-4270-B8F8-B5B574C3AB43.jpegDB2C0CF0-C0E3-4195-BBE6-83D5EB1A4D2E.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill large gap between window and brickwork?

Hi @BiancaR,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have joined and thank you for your question about filling the gap between your window and the external wall. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon but let me tag Workshop members @Jewelleryrescue and @TheHandySqirrel to see if they have any advice. 

Keep us updated on your progress and, as always, we are here to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @BiancaR  @KatieC 

We need to keep an eye on this gap.   As the wall looks like a start point for a house extention as the brick work under the side of the window isnt overlapping more of a  butted up  join. And  that section of house seams to have dropped down  1:10 given the  gap measurments you gave. 

And further concern is the brick mortar between the walls is cracked too suggests movement  as described.

Is there crack on  the other side wall or inside plaster. ?

All is good if that movement is now stopped.  Just be a aware of this possibility and try and see why this is happening,

You may need to use an expanding waterproof Foam filler  between the wall and frame not too much as  to be  over flowing.

Parfix 750g Expanding Foam Filler I/N: 1230048 $16.95

The Fix one  option is to use an aluminium angle to glue( with sika Pro +) the flat bit too the wall with the edge pointing in,  So you just seeing a flat  metal face. As the wall goes up the metal  edge will span across the gap to the top I would have the 20mm edge on the wall using  the 32mm edge to hide the gap.  Drawing may help here as a cut away.  the aluminum goes all the way up to top.

Aluminum angleAluminum angle

1/ Cut the aluminium to size  from  the bottom of the window ledge  to the top of the window.

2 /Mask the wall with any tape to try avoid messes. use aluminum as a guide  pre positioned if you wish  for  tape masking position you will need a bead of Sika pro+ to seal aluminum to the wall the tape helps keep that neat.

3/ Put some tape on the  32mm side of the aluminum angle ready to hold it in place when glued to the wall

4/ Apply a 10mm bead Sila Pro+ on masked wall where the aluminium will fit, Slide the aluminium 20mm side  to the wall  the sika  will squish and seal over the 20mm  aluminum and wall leaving approx 1 mm space for the sika to fill now use the  pre applied tape to stick it in place to the window.,   Pull up wall masking tape. Clean any excess Pro+  or add more as a external bead angle  to the wall.

5/Let  this cure over night to be safe. 

6 Remove holding tape to window

7/ gently open a gap between window and aluminium angle 1mm min  and wegde it open and caulk in sika  pro+ to the open 1mm gap leave wedges (eg a pulled apart peg is wedge shape)

8/ let  it set  24 hours. pull out pegs caulk peg holes.

After the aluminium angle is in place look to cauking up the cracks on the mortar  underneath the window.

Any clean up required from sika pro + use  turps on a  rag.  If you want to smooth the bead wet the tool  with turps first to help the sika not stick to it.

Metal Mate 32 x 20 x 1.4mm 3m Aluminium Unequal Angle  I/N: 1138131 $32.91  32x20 x1.4mm-3m-aluminium-unequal-angle 

Sika 310ml Grey Concrete Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant  I/N: 0083588  $21.79 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-310ml-grey-concrete-sikaflex-pro-polyurethane-sealant_p0083588

Hello @BiancaR

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I agree with using the Self Expanding Foam to fill up the gap between your window and the brick wall. It's possible that part of your brick wall is settling into some soft ground. I propose engaging the services of a structural engineer and finding out what's causing the settling to occur. 

If the same gap is visible inside your house make sure that you spray enough expanding foam to cover that gap as well. Keep in mind that it's ok for the foam to spread outside the gap as you can trim it with a Stanley knife. Before applying the polyurethane sealant ensure that the brick surface and the aluminium window frame are clean and free of debris.

Please make sure to wear safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when cutting the aluminium and working on the repair.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BiancaR
Getting Established

Thanks KatieC

Thankyou Jewelleryrescue.  Your informative reply is very much appreciated.

BiancaR
Getting Established

Thankyou Eric.

Hi @BiancaR,

@Jewelleryrescue beat me to it and I think their reply gives you lots to work with.

Good luck! 

Hi @TheHandySqirrel 

All is good as long as they have some practical  help.  Your idea on  the subject might be move practical thats what  this workshop is about a colaberation of ideas and the Enquirer can cherry pick ideas  with in there skill set to proceed  with.

Your turn  next.  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects