Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking pergola?

Karl92
Growing in Experience

How to fix a leaking pergola?

Hi everyone,

I have a section of my pergola (not sure what it is called) that drips continuously when it rains and continues for a few days after raining. 

This causes lot of dirt to pool at both ends of the ground. 

Any ideas on what I can do to stop this?

20240117_113645.jpg

20240117_113619.jpg

20240117_113626.jpg

20240117_113652.jpg

20240117_113715.jpg

   

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix a leaking pergola?

Sorry for the delay in responding @Karl92.

With so many people tackling projects during the summer break, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are very busy. They will get back to you as soon as possible with their thoughts on your plumbing issue. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Karl92 

My apologies for the late reply. The first order of business is to track down the source of the leak. It could be coming from the gutter or failure in the downpipe assembly. I suggest wiping down the area and removing all the dust, dirt and debris so that it will be easy to track where the water is bridging to.

Once you locate the source of the leak, I suggest sealing it up with Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. But if it appears to be more serious, can I please request that you post a photo of the damage. We can then make an assessment and offer recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, I'll have a look at what's going on and keep you posted. Thanks very much for the advice.

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Hi EricL,

So I found a tennis ball stuck in the yellow pipe and the gutter had pooled water. Cleared the ball and it drained. Could that have been the culprit?

Also after it drained the downpipe released a lot of water from the bottom. Any ideas on how to fix?

20240120_124239.jpg

20240120_124242.jpg

20240120_123437.jpg

   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like the culprit, @Karl92! The pooled water due to the blockage has allowed water to seep out the gaps in the guttering. Under normal circumstances, the slight leak to the gutter would typically go unnoticed. To resolve this completely, you can always run some gutter silicone along the inside seam.

The leaking at the bottom of the pipe is probably from the large amount of water being held in the gutter. Due to the flow, it's seeped out of the fitting at the bottom. It's likely nothing to worry about, and once again, when it's raining and the flow much less, you'd likely not even notice it.

Mitchell

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Amazing, thanks @MitchellMc .

I'll probably run some silicone when I get a chance. 

Appreciate everyone's help!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects