Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a peeling deck?

greg10
Just Starting Out

How to fix a peeling deck?

My deck surface has begun peeling back to bare timber. It is a merbau deck. never had this problem before. Any suggestions as to what I should do. It has been suggested I and back to bare timber and re oil. Any one know of someone who will sand back a merbau deck?

Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix a peeling deck?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @greg10. We're pleased to have you join the community. Please feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have a project to share with members.

You might like to share some photos of your deck so members can assess its condition and advise on next steps. But by your description it does sound like sanding would be necessary to get a uniform finish. Sanding is a D.I.Y. project that is very achievable even for beginners. Take a look at my own deck renewal project using a floor sander.

If you didn't want to complete the project yourself, we would suggest using a service like Hipages or Airtasker to find a tradesperson in your area.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects