Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix downpipe movement?

BigCheese
Finding My Feet

How to fix downpipe movement?

Hi. Living on highly reactive soil, and the stormwater pipe has moved/disconnected at the bottom but not at the top. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

5883B46B-4A32-4AF1-8A3E-1B5D29D6C9F4.jpeg

8DE5B980-0362-4388-B47C-2D63DBD2C05D.jpeg

  

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to fix downpipe movement?

Hi @BigCheese,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop,

That does not look that easy to fix, just looking at the way that the pipe joins into the two elbows at the bottom of the down-pipe.

You may need to replace the down-pipe itself and see if you can get the socket out of the top elbow, is that socket actually glued?

What I've done in the past with PVC fittings is soften the glue with a heat gun and remove the fitting in the elbow, you just need

to be very careful in doing this to save melting bits you don't want to.

Once you have that socket out, it will be a simple matter of fitting a new socket and refitting the down-pipe.

Just take your time and it should work out fine.

{Edit} Sorry, you will need to use PVC cement on the joints when they are refitted in place, if you re-use the down-pipe, make sure you remove any dirt off the end of the pipe and give it and the new socket a bit of a rub with some 100 grit abrasive paper or emery tape to give the glue some coarseness to grip to.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Thanks Mike T. I will double check whether glued at the top. Thanks for your advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BigCheese

Allow me to share a warm welcome as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the downpipe movement. I suggest replacing the reducing collar that is currently attached to the 100mm elbow in your set-up. I recommend attaching a Holman 100mm PVC DWV Slab Adaptor to the elbow and then placing the Deks Industries 100mm PVC to 80/90 PVC Rubber Jenco Joiner on both to join them together. Don't cut the 90mm pipe and let it slide inside the slab adaptor. In this manner, no matter what movement occurs the pipe will simply rise and fall within the assembly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your downpipe fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @BigCheese ,

No worries,

By rights, that pipe will more than likely be glued at the top or it would just fall off the elbow next to it.

Let us know how you get on with the repair and if you have further issues, post away.....

Cheers,

Mike T.

Thanks Eric, sorry few questions:

How would you remove the reducing collar?

Re the second piece you recommended. Will those metal clips be visible on the outside?

Finally, any photos of this in practice?

Sorry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BigCheese

You'll need to use a combination of a heat gun and a flat head screwdriver to remove the reducing collar. Your goal is to remove the collar and not damage the elbow it's connected to. The slab adapter will fit inside the elbow and the Deks joiner will fit around the slab adapter. Your existing 90mm downpipe should slide neatly into the Deks joiner. I've placed the diagram below for you to have an idea of how it will come together.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Excellent thanks Eric. No need to use the clips then. Thanks so much. 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects