Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gate with rusty hinges?

kelly81
Finding My Feet

How to fix gate with rusty hinges?

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

  

Hi team. I have a rusty old gate that swings out supported by a wheel on one side. The screws in the hinge have rusted and the gate is hanging on by a thread. I’m a total newbie to DIY. Would screwing some long bolts and nuts through the screw hole be a good option for now? Better than my trusty cable ties?!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help me fix my gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kelly81. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a gate.

Installing bolts through the post would be a good and solid solution. Alternatively, you could lift the gate slightly so the screw holes are over a fresh bit of post and re-install the screws. You should only have to lift the gate 10mm to do so.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell :smile:

Will I need a special drill bit to drill through the metal post? I have a dewalt drill (& an impact driver). The post is a colourbond upright. 

thanks again - very new to all this 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No need for a special drill, @kelly81; the Dewalt drill will do just fine. You will need a drill bit of the same as the holes in the hinge, though. Ensure the bolts you pick up are slightly under the size of the hole in their thickness. So, if the hole is 10mm, I'd go for an 8mm bolt; it just makes sure it will pass through easily. Also, ensure that the bolts are longer than the post and hinge plate thickness combined.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects