Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaning metal post on pool fence?

JLW
Finding My Feet

How to fix leaning metal post on pool fence?

Hi, I have a pool fence post (with the receiving gate latch attached) that is leaning ever so slightly towards the gate and as such the gate latch rubs when closing and does not self close. The post is set in a concrete footing, it is not wobbly however must have moved over the past period. How can I adjust the angle of the post upper section by approx 5mm away from the gate? Thanks, 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leaning Metal Post on Pool Fence

Hi @JLW,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's a bit hard to tell just from your description, exactly what the solution would be. It might just involve moving the latch slightly to accommodate, or it might involve bending the post slightly with a ratchet strap.

Is it possible to get some photos of the latch and the posts? 

Let me know if you need assistance uploading images, I'm more than happy to help.

Jacob

JLW
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jacob and I will take some photos tonight. The steel post is a 1.6mm 20x20 Bunnings piece and from memory I set it in 600mm of concrete - would this bend slightly using the ratchet strap method? Thanks, 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JLW 

It is quite difficult to say if the post will bend or not, once we see the photo of the fence and post, we'll be able to give you a recommendation on how to proceed. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JLW
Finding My Feet

Hi all, Photo attached. I ran the level across the posts last night and the hinge post is straight however the latch post leans into the gate approx. 10mm from bottom to latch height. Last night I put my full weight on the latch post and pulled back (to the right in the photo) and this worked and remained working this morning however my concern is that it will reset over time (and most likely on the morning of my pool compliance check!). Wondering if there is a way to secure the post position with a wedge or steel rod etc once I have it in the correct position? Note that when pulling on the post it did not feel like a 'shift' in the footing rather slight compression. Thanks all - appreciate the help. JLWIMG_6824.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix leaning metal post on pool fence?

Hi @JLW,

Unless there is a gap forming in the concrete at the base, there isn't really a way to wedge the post in place for your compliance check.

One of the great benefits of aluminium as a construction material is its ability to bend and retain its shape. This, along with other advantageous properties, is why it is used in applications such as gutters, roof sheets and fencing materials. 

Two types of deformation occur when bending aluminium, elastic deformation and plastic deformation. 

Elastic deformation occurs when a force is applied to the aluminium up to a certain limit. Once the force is removed, the aluminium, like elastic, will spring back to its original location.

If the force exceeds the elastic limit, the material will deform plastically. This means the material will undergo a permanent change in shape. Aluminium has a relatively low elastic limit compared to some other metals, so it is prone to plastic deformation when bent. If your aluminium fence post has been bent beyond its elastic limit, it will not return to its original position on its own.

If you are concerned about your upcoming compliance check, my best advice would be to monitor the position of the post in the next few days to see if it returns to its original position. My best guess would be that it wouldn't, but if it does, you can just apply pressure in the same way that you have to right the position of the post.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

JLW
Finding My Feet

Re: How to fix leaning metal post on pool fence?

Hi Jacob, Thanks for detail and tech knowledge! I will check post position tonight and when on a good angle I will run a straight edge up the outside to see if there is a bend and record that gap measurement and then re-check every day to see if it returns to straight or not.

Now to fix all the other things that need to be done!

Thanks again. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects