Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix rainwater tank overflow leak?

deepfriedMango
Just Starting Out

How to fix rainwater tank overflow leak?

Hello!

I've noticed the overflow pipe for my rainwater tank leaks when it's full. Just wondering how easy this would be to fix myself and what sorta tools I would need. Appreciate any advice.

Cheers!

417519357_406677488485564_1461522182078052859_n.jpg417523816_1430241654368706_7620459213901960461_n.jpg418557463_2616517368529483_2782685332009149578_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing rainwater tank overflow

Hello @deepfriedMango 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have yo join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your rain tank overflow.

First you need to check if the overflow pipe are loose. Grab a hold of the pipes and see if they can be disconnected from the tank. If they can, odds are the adhesives holding them in place have deteriorated. In order to fix it all the parts must be removed the edges sanded clean and new adhesive put in. 

I suggest using Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent to join the pipes back together again and to attach the overflow branch to the tank. Make sure that all the pipe work is clean and free of moss mould and debris.

Before fixing it in place, I suggest doing a test fitting to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. Once you are confident that there are no broken pieces, you then apply the glue to once piece at a time fix everything into place.

Once its all organized you can slowly re-assemble the downpipe with glue.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply @EricL 

The pipes don't seem to be loose which is good. 

I was wondering if it would be better to replace the entire overflow pipe. Would something like this work? If so, do they come with a gasket or is that a separate item?

Cheers 

Hi @deepfriedMango,

I think @EricL is on the money here. The part must either be pulled apart or cut out and replaced with glue on the joints. 

Regarding replacing the overflow pipe, were you intending on having just that short fitting and the water being dropped directly onto the ground?

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

No I was thinking of replacing the overflow pipe (As I noticed cracks on it around the screws) and connecting it to the existing downpipe. 

Hi @deepfriedMango 

You will need replacment tank outlet fittings avaliable  at bunnings with a tube of silicone to seal it to the tank during  replacment simple  matter to unscrew the tank fitting and clean surrounds,  But water  may gush out can you pre drain the tank level  below the out let level ?

But if you are not confident with plastic plumbing fittings I would suggest  external siliconing the cracks  up and the  use of duct tape as a repair.

Not hard to do but still not super easy  for a new learner project.

Hi @deepfriedMango 

My apologies for the late reply. The Rain Harvesting 90mm Extra High Flanged Tank Overflow can be used for your tank however, it will require a bit of rearranging how your overflow is set up. The issue is that the fitting has a 90-degree bend in it which means that it will need to be reconfigured in order for it to work.

Another option is the use of the Rain Harvesting 90mm Flanged Tank Overflow which is a straight connector. This means that the old fittings on the tank can be removed and replaced with a straight pipe for a fresh new connection. Please note that the fitting is reversable so make sure that it is facing the right way when being installed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects