Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wooden entrance door with rotten bottom?

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

How to fix wooden entrance door with rotten bottom?

Hello

The below part of the entrance door is getting rotten, as in the pic. Any idea how to fix it? Is there any kinda guard I can attach to that part?

Cheers

1000019965.jpg1000019964.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: wooden entrance door

Hi @hesamshimi 

The only guard you need is to take the door off its hinges  sand the rough paint edges off  undercoat the door twice and paint it twice.

Typically  builders/painters never paint the tops of doors and the bottoms as it is out of sight  and out of mind until is starts being water effected and noticed by owner

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix wooden entrance door with rotten bottom?

Hi @hesamshimi,

I believe @Jewelleryrescue has hit the nail on the head there. This is a common issue when doors are not painted on the bottom edge. As mentioned, I'd suggest removing the door, sanding the damaged area and then filling and sanding again to establish a square bottom edge. Undercoat and topcoat to finish off and re-install. It would be best to paint the whole door for consistency.

Regarding the guard question, you could install a door weather seal, but that would just mask the issue, which would continue to get worse. Nothing wrong with completing the above and then adding a weather seal, though. Could be a good idea if your sanding and filling job are noticeable.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: wooden entrance door

Thanks very much 

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to fix wooden entrance door with rotten bottom?

Thanks for the advice 🙏 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects