Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay pavers on dirt floor?

sankara
Growing in Experience

How to lay pavers on dirt floor?

Hello

I have a pool surrounded by carpet. it wasnt me but the previous owner. looking to revamp it, i am looking for installing paving or tiling with new drain around it as well. it has thin layer of concrete under the concrete. 

I think i have  to remove concrete and some dirt under the concrete, level the ground compact it then install pavers or tiles. should i set the paver or tiles with cement or use locking pavers and sand the grout joints. 

i already have drainage problem and want all surface water run out of that pool area instead of seeping through

please advice  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pavers on dirt floor

Hi @sankara,

That sounds like a reasonably large project you have going on there. Traditionally pavers are set on a compacted sand base. You could look at setting them with concrete, but given that you'll likely experience movement, the concrete might crack unless it's a sufficient thickness slab you're pouring. If you are using tiles, you'll need to pour a solid slab base and glue the tiles to the concrete slab.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How to pour a concrete slab and How to lay paving for a path.

You might like to provide some pictures of the area so our members have a better understanding of what you're dealing with and the advice they can provide.

The first step sounds like you'll need to find out what exactly is under the carpet and decide how you'll be creating your compacted base. We have roadbase and hire compactors, making the job easier for you.

I look forward to seeing those pictures, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@sankara,

As luck would have it, @Adam_W has just posted a helpful step-by-step guide on How to tile an outdoor area. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

Mitchell

sankara
Growing in Experience

Hi Again @MitchellMc  Thanks for your response

Looks like pavers or tiles not an option, I am having second thought, i remove not so large amount of soil and dirt around then install a low level composite decking instead.

I would like to go flush with top, but i will have to dig out so much dirt and soil, and it might impact firbre glass pool integrity. So i will go on top. Please let me know where i m going wrong here

1. Install drainage around the pool

2. Install posts

3. Attach Joists, and on pool side will overhang on top of the pool lip or coping about 250mm. is it possible for this much over hang. I dont want to rest the joist on top of the lip and crack it in the future.

4. No bearers as it will increase the overall height

5. There are round corners, if manage to cut grooves deck and try to bend it follow pools profile. Is this a possibility?

Please advice 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sankara,

Many thanks for the update. 

Let me tag @MitchellMc and @EricL to assist you further. 

Could you please share some photos of the area so our members and the Bunnings team can see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice? Let me know if you need any help uploading the images. 

Thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sankara

It is a bit of a worry if you dig too far and affect the pool's integrity. Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the entire pool area and its measurements? This will allow our members to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on how to install low-level composite decking.

We look forward to seeing the pictures of your pool.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sankara,

I apologise for the delay in my reply.

As @Jason and @EricL have mentioned, some photos would really help us provide some informed solutions.

Regarding your plan, it's starting to come together, and you've covered some basic steps. I'd suggest you put pen to paper and sketch out the pool shape and how you'd like to construct the deck. A counter-levered section of 250mm is not out of the question if your structure is adequately designed. How sharp these corners are will determine the likelihood of you bending the timber into shape.

We'll be looking forward to seeing some images and assisting further.

Mitchell

sankara
Growing in Experience

Hi @JasonF @EricL @MitchellMc . Thanks for your participants.

i am really hammered work my work and weather is bot helping. Let me get you some pictures and draft a plan.

Thank you for your help and support

sankara
Growing in Experience

Hi @JasonF @EricL @MitchellMc 

Just for your information, i have decided to pour concrete around the swimming pool area. i have found a local builder who can help me with this and agreed for me to demo and partially prep the surface. I am yet start this project and post images as we go

thanks for your advise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds excellent, @sankara. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects