Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay stepping stones using mortar?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to lay stepping stones using mortar?

https://youtu.be/3o1FY-ty41k?si=bI7Y79aBRMdmis5k

fast forward to 0:56:

he made it look like so easy 

but how to get same amount of mortar for different stepping stone?

Now im following the steps in this clip. And I almost reach the mortar laying process. 

Im worried that with different amount of mortar for each stepping stone, all stepping stone wont be at the same level - some higher some lower.

Seems a good idea to use brickline, and the stepping stone can lean against the line.

But if some stepping stone dont get sufficient mortar underneath them, wont they sink a bit after the mortar gets cured?

So the question is how to get same amount of mortar for different stepping stone?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Difficult - using mortar on stepping stones

Hi @ivanptr,

Typically, when you make up your mortar mix, it should have some thickness to it. Make sure you don't add more water than required. You want quite a sticky mix and not a watery one, that way, the pavers won't sink after laying. As you can see in the video, they needed to tap the paver down to get it to bed to the right height. You shouldn't have too much of an issue if you put a similar amount of mortar at each paver location. The brickline is essential and how you determine the correct height of the paver. Mortar doesn't set particularly quickly, so if you have put too little or too much mortar under the paver, you can always remove the paver to add more or remove some mortar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

20231010_084020_0000.png

what if I put too much mortar, and when i use rubber mallet to tap it , then the mortar underneath got squeezed to the edge of the paver, should I use trovel to take that out?

I only need some mortar in the center of the paver or its fine to have edge also supported by mortar underneath ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

You'd just compress the excess mortar by tapping the paver down more. Alternatively, remove the paver, remove some mortar, and try again. It is fine for the mortar to squeeze out under the edges; you can just remove the excess. It actually preferred to have the entire tile supported right up to its edge. A trowel would be the perfect tool to remove the excess mortar that squeezes out under the edges.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

We've already purchased all the materials and excavated a trench that's 15cm deep.

20231026_161433.jpg

Here's the garden edge we bought:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-150mm-x-10m-black-garden-edge_p0111368

And here's our stepping stone:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-600-x-400-x-20mm-bluestone-paver_p0129309

Our road base:

Ki Carma 20kg Road Base Landscape Stones

Based on the online DIY tips for a stepping stone pathway, our next step is to lay the road base and compact it before installing the edge.

Could you please take a quick look at our plan below?😅

signal-2023-10-26-21-53-30-839.jpg

Should the path edge be about 3cm higher than the ground to prevent weeds or lawn from spreading across our pathway?

Thank you for any advice..!😔😌

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Having the edging slightly higher than the pavement would be a good idea to stop weeds and lawn encroaching onto it @ivanptr. However, you don't want it so high that it becomes a tripping hazard. 2cm is likely enough to give you an edge to use your line trimmer against and also not be high enough to cause tripping.

Mitchell

20231030_173112.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-280-x-25mm-black-garden-edge-multi-peg_p3321009?store=8175...

@MitchellMc , We had a hiccup 😓. So, we used a hammer to secure the plastic peg, but there were too many hard rocks underneath. It was difficult to drive the entire peg into the ground, and we could only get half of it secured. My arm was so sore.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's still looking good, @ivanptr. Once the paving has been laid, it should push the edging outwards and help straighten it. The pegs are only really needed if the edging is entirely above ground to stop it from falling over. In your case, I don't believe they'll be necessary.

Mitchell

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dingo-fast-set-mortar-3kg_p0760518

Hi @MitchellMc , do you have any idea what the ideal water-to-mortar ratio is for this bag? I used a 1:0.2 ratio for mortar and water.

However, it's been 90 minutes, and when I press on the stepping stone (I did the first one) , it still wobbles/moves. It seems the mortar has hardened a bit, but it didn't adhere my stepping stone to the road base. It's quite strange.

Should I try using different products?

20240302_163258.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

The correct ratio will be marked on the bag. I do apologise, but I don't have those details at hand. You're not glueing the pavers down like you would with tiles. The mortar forms a bed that the pavers sit upon. How much mortar did you apply under each paver?

Typically, you add the mortar to the area and lightly tamp the paver down with a rubber mallet. This beds the paver down into the mortar. You would then leave it be for a few days for the mortar to set entirely. After that point if a sufficient amount of mortar was placed under the paver it shouldn't wobble or move.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects