Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay tiles for patio?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to lay tiles for patio?

This is my very first post in this community :smile:

I have two patios where I am planning to lay tiles. I have been following many youtube videos and instructions on internet and it seems like it is doable by myself ( little help from my wife).  I would really like to try myself and give it a go. Any suggestion would be nice before starting. I have attached images of my two patios. And also if you can suggest me what type of tiles are best suitable for such case. I believe timber decking is going to be expensive in this case. 

patio2.jpgpatio1.jpg

Sugar
Having an Impact

Re: laying tile in patios

hi @EricL 

Thanks, I will use that product to fill the gap. 

The answer to your last question is: No, there are any cracks. How to lay tiles on the vertical portion of the patio, should the these small vertical portions should be done first and the floor afterward?

I am thinking how should it appear at the corners where the floor tiles and vertical tiles meet? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend laying the vertical tiles after you've done the floor @Sugar. That way, you can place a tile spacer on top of the floor tiles to get the gap correct and hold the tile up until the glue has dried. If you do the verticle tiles first, it will be hard to get the gap at the bottom consistent, and they'll fall off the wall if not supported whilst the glue dries.

The tile spacers will gap the tiles correctly at the corners. You'll then come back and add grout or silicone to the gap. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @EricL 

Thank you for your reply. So many things going around and have not got a chance to do tiling. I am hoping next weekend I will be able to do it. 

I have added another area (my front area). Please have a look at the picture. 

patio.png

I am going to do tiling in the area indicated by the Red dotted lines. I am a little worried about finishing off the tile here, where two pillars ends ( the dotted line away from the main door). Later I googled and found this: 

https://www.nationaltiles.com.au/aluminium-diminishing-trim-robtt370?gclid=CjwKCAjwtKmaBhBMEiwAyINuw...

I would like to create a smooth transition between the tile and the pebblecrete surface so that nobody trips. What is the name of the item we call in Bunnings Store and how to use that during the tiling process where the last tiles end?

Besides the above, I have a few questions: 

1.) How many hours after we can take out the spacing between tiles?

2.) How many hours after we can apply grout in between tiles? I believe we have to let the adhesive dry first. 

3.) I am planning to apply vertical tiles on the areas indicated by the green lines (probably I had already asked this before). Is that a good idea or are there any other alternatives for the vertical section of wall just above the floor ?

Thanks guys for your experts advice. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

The diminishing tiling trim you're after is manufactured by one of our suppliers, Roberts design. If you speak with one of our helpful team members at your nearest store's Special Orders desk, then we'll be able to order the trim for you. 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide that you should find useful: How to lay floor tiles. I'm sure it will answer many of your questions and give you the confidence needed to start this project.

You'll need to wait for the adhesive to dry before removing the tile spacers. Drying times are dependent on the tile adhesive you choose. Typically, a 24-hour drying time is fairly common. Once the adhesive is dry, you can grout your tiles.

Tiling the verticle sections is certainly an option. An alternative could be to use 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening which might make a nice natural wood highlight to your tiling job.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on how to use 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening in my case or if you can direct me to the project if anyone had done this before? 

This option looks interesting and looks like it is going to add more features to the tiling project. 

Waiting for your reply.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

My idea was to use the timber as a trim above the tiles, something like the below image. It's certainly not necessary, but it is an option that could add some interest. The timber could also be added to either side of your pathway.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

I like the idea of adding timber on either side of the pathways plus around the . How can we achieve this? Bolt the timber on the pathways or how do we stick that on either side of the pathways? This can be added to the either side of the porch where there are flowers. 

For adding this timber on top of tiles (Green indicated lines) can be done later on spare time, I think. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sugar

I suggest using Selleys 325g Liquid Nails Rapid Cure Strong Waterproof Adhesive to join them together. Bolting the timber to any concrete or tile surface will require that you drill carefully to avoid cracking the tile. If the concrete surface is not deep enough it might not be suitable to bolt the timber onto the surface.  

Eric

Sugar
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for advising me with this Adhesive, exactly like I wanted.  I was not comfortable bolting or doing something. As long as above adhesive holds the timber, that will be okay and I am sure it will give extra feature to my tiling or pathways.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear, @Sugar. Keep us updated on your progress, and reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects