Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level backyard for artificial turf?

vickychune
Just Starting Out

How to level backyard for artificial turf?

Hi I am new to DIY stuff and I am trying to install artificial turf in the backyard, I have a soil patch which is around 11sq.mt, I am not able to figure how much Gap7 will I need to prepare the base if I gig up 80mm of dirt.

Thanks in Advance

backyard.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard level for artificial turf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vickychune. It's brilliant that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about artificial turf.

I presume from your description that you want to replace the soil and planted area for artificial turf? If so, you'd remove the soil until you were 50mm below the level of the pavers and add a 50mm layer of sand instead. You'd then compact the sand before laying your turf. The compaction of the sand should drop its height below the pavers, and the thickness of the grass should bring it back up to be flush with the pavers. Depending on which turf you choose, you'll need to vary the amount of soil you remove or sand you add. The more expensive the turf is, the thicker the pile and finished height. You can see that this DIY Turf 1.8m x 12mm Pile Synthetic Total Turf, which is a budget-friendly variety, has a 12mm height, and this Tuff Turf 1.8m Wide 25mm Pile K9 Tuff Synthetic Turf premium variety is 25mm high.

You should find this guide useful: How to lay synthetic turf

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI Mitchell,

Thanks for this, it is what I am trying to do, however I am unable to figure out how much sand/Gap7 will be required to cover 11sq. mt with 50mm depth.

Should 20 kg be good enough or will I need more.

Regards,

Vicky Chune

Hi @vickychune,

I apologise. I didn't realise you were on the other side of the ditch from me. Gap7 isn't something used in Australia, and I mistook the reference. You'd need approximately half a cubic meter of sand. One 20kg bag will cover an area of 1.1m2 to a depth of about 10mm. So, five per square meter. To fill 11 square meters to a depth of 50mm would require 55 x 20kg bags of sand.

Alternatively, if this isn't a highly trafficked area, you could just compact the existing soil and lay the turf over it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mann
Getting Established

Re: How to level backyard for artificial turf?

@vickychune hey were you able to do this task? I want to lay the turf but just trying to understand what is the easy way to dig the soil first 

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects