Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level backyard soil?

rakeshghandham
Finding My Feet

How to level backyard soil?

Hi Team,

This would be my first post here, I would like to get some suggestions if I am going in right direction. I am trying to level the backyard which is approx 12 x 4 meter , I have got top soil and started to level but I am worried because of the fencing, If I push the topsoil towards the fencing will it cause any concerns with the fence in future. 

Please let me know if there any other way we can get this sorted out. I have attached some pictures for reference. 

My End goal would be to layout natural grass here.

Thanks. 

Pic1Pic1

Pic2Pic2

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level backyard soil?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rakeshghandham. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about levelling your backyard.

How high do you need to fill against the fence to level the yard? You've got two types of treated timber there. H3 timber for the pailing, which shouldn't have soil placed against it, and H4 timber for the horizontal sleeper underneath the pailing. I've added an image below to illustrate. You will be fine filling the soil up to the top of the sleeper at the green line, which won't cause any concerns. If you need to fill higher, we'll need to come up with a solution to hold the soil off the fence and pailings. Bear in mind if you're laying turf, it itself will be about 40mm thick, so take that into account.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your quick response @MitchellMc , appreciate it. 

yes will consider the 40mm for the turf and will put the soil on pailings. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rakeshghandham 

Just to add to @MitchellMc's great advice, I recommend putting some Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate & 3m Prejoined Channel to protect your fence. Any water that comes around will be caught by the drain and redirected out. I've placed a virtual layout for you at the bottom of this post. Have a look and tell us what you think.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your newly laid turf.

Eric

rakes turf 2A.jpg 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects