Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a planter box into seating?

NoDIYidea
Just Starting Out

How to make a planter box into seating?

IMG_20200517_161426.jpg

I have a red brick planter box out the front of the house and wonder if I can turn it into seating by  "simply" using  Timber or composite decking tiles or slats on top of the crushed brick inside or putting sand in first? Appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a planter box into seating?

Welcome to the Workshop community @NoDIYidea. Sounds like an interesting project, I'd be happy to assist.

It sounds quite reasonable what you are suggesting and I can't see why it wouldn't work. It will be helpful for our members giving advice if you could share an image of the brick planter box with us.

You would need fixings suitable for masonry similar to Ramset 6 x 60mm Countersunk Dynabolt Plus Masonry Anchor and perhaps the addition of Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape. There will need to be some type of timber cross member to span the inside area of the planter box, but that will be easy enough to install.

If you have further questions or need advice on the process, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, have now uploaded photo don't know if that helps. Was thinking to sit something on top or inside of brick work without too much construction.

Hi @NoDIYidea.

Our helpful community members might have some other ideas for you on how to best go about it. Personally, the easiest option I can see would be to dyna-bolt a piece of timber horizontally onto the brick house wall, fix timber cross members every 500mm down the length of the wall and lay the decking on that.

I'm not really sure what you could put inside that is going to bear the weight of the decking and allow you to fix into it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects