Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to minimise damage of weed killer for Sir Walter Buffalo?

suv
Just Starting Out

How to minimise damage of weed killer for Sir Walter Buffalo?

I applied Yates SELECTIVE YATES 250ML BUFFALO PRO CONC (52211) on my Sir Walter Buffalo lawn without reading the label. I used the higher end of the prescribed ratio in the Yates website.

The label says it is suitable for all Buffalo grass except ST varieties. I am not sure if Sir Walter Buffalo is shade tolerant, but doing a quick search revealed that it is.

I am afraid I might have done damage to my lawn. What is the way to minimise the damage? It is already over a day and the herbicide should have been absorbed by now. Would washing my lawn help?

Also can someone suggest a proper weed and feed for Sir Walter Buffalo?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to minimise damage of weed killer for Sir Walter Buffalo?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @suv. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about applying weed killer to Sir Walter Buffalo.

Sir Walter Buffalo is not an ST variety. ST is a specific type of Buffalo lawn registered in the US, like ST-91 Buffalo, ST-91 ST Augustine. Although Sir Walter Buffalo is shade tolerant, it's not one of these referenced ST varieties that are particularly susceptible to selective weed killers. Sir Walter Buffalo is one of the most common lawns in Australia, and there are no issues using Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate on it.

The Buffalo Pro is a weeder, so do you now need a fertiliser? If so, I can recommend Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Buffalo Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser, which will feed your lawn for up to three months.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
suv
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the quick reply. Really reassuring to know that I didn't damage my lawn. I am not looking for lawn fertilizer, but a good weed and feed that I can apply every 2-3 months that'll add nutrient as well as prevent weed. Do you have any recommendations please suitable for Sir Walter?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suv 

I have Buffalo lawn just like you and I recommend using Yates 2.4L Buffalo Pro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. Aside from the easy garden hose clip on system, it selectively kills the most common broadleaf weeds in lawns. I've been using this particular product for quite some time now and it's excellent at providing nutrients to my lawn and keeping the weeds away.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects