Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint Besser Blocks?

EV77
Growing in Experience

How to paint Besser Blocks?

I want to paint concrete Besser blocks. What paint and primer should I use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painter Besser Blocks

Hi @EV77,

A good quality exterior self-priming paint like Dulux Weathershield would be suitable for painting Besser blocks. If you are using the blocks for a retaining wall then it would be an excellent idea to paint the side facing what is being retained with a water-proofing membrane similar to Crommelin 15L Pro-400 WP Roof And Wall Waterproof Membrane. This will prevent moisture entering the rear side of the block, migrating through it, and then"pushing" the paint off the face.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EV77
Growing in Experience

Thank you! I got the job done over the weekend :smile:

20200907_173333.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@EV77,

That looks fantastic and great colour choice! I like how modular Besser blocks are for making plant stands. If you want more room just add more blocks.

Many thanks for sharing your finished project with the community.

Mitchell

Is there a need to remove existing paint completely , and with regards to undercoat , what are your thoughts ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Blpga13. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting Besser blocks.

What condition is the exiting paint in? If it is sound and not peeling or deteriorated, you can clean it thoroughly and paint it. If it's not looking the best, you'll need to prepare it before the new coat. Any degraded paint will need to be removed, and any rough edges sanded back. You'll then be able to use Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat before applying your topcoat.

You might like to post a picture, so our helpful members have a better understanding of what you're working with. That will allow them to provide tailored feedback on your project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hello,

I have this retaining wall and would like to paint it. The concrete besser block has some white substance that leaks out.

If I paint over it will the paint hold? Do I need to use a primer.

what products do you recommend?

Note : the inside was waterproofed while this wall was built.

Thanks,

Thamarai

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 3.42.51 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @EV77. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a retaining wall.

The Dulux Weathershield is self-priming and only needs to go onto a clean and sound surface. Give the wall a good brush down to remove any powdery cement. 

The white substance is efflorescence, a crystalline deposit of salts that can form when water is present on or in cement work. It would be good insurance to first paint the wall with Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing to ensure any moisture within the wall doesn't push the paint off through negative hydrostatic pressure. It also prevents efflorescence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects