Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint concrete driveway?

bezeebee
Finding My Feet

How to paint concrete driveway?

Hi All, seeking some guidance here. Just pressure cleaned my driveway, concrete blocks with stipes design. Trying to refresh the paint which is faded but not sure what type I should get from bunnings. 

The driveway is steep so will need to ensure the paint provides grip for the car and those walking up and down as there are no stairs. Attaching a pic. This is before it was cleaned. Thanks all. 

20211229_162751.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how to paint driveway

Hi @bezeebee, sounds like a great project and we can't wait to see the results.

Let me tag @nfds, @prettyliving and @Nham for their suggestions. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bezeebee,

Is that stencilled concrete? If so, you'll likely need to discuss painting with someone that deals specifically with that process. Our concrete and paving paints are designed to go over concrete, so we can't guarantee a stencilled area's longevity.

Concrete paints are also not great with steep inclines. You'll want to stick well away from any gloss coating and be adding additional grit to non-slip varieties.

Do you want to cover the stencilling, or does the colour just need a refresh? If you paint, you're going to lose the brick effect grouted lines.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your message and sorry for the delay in replying. I have ended up reaching out to a professional company to see how they can help refresh the paint and retain the stencil. Appreacite your guidance. 

Thanks,

Ben

Zak_m
Just Starting Out

Hi Bezeebee,

Thank you for a great post. I am planning on doing the same with my steep stencilled concrete driveway..

Could you please share the results once done ?. Also, may i know what pressure cleaner used and if you can share a photo of the cleaned driveway?.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Zak_m. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question about this project.

I'm sure @bezeebee will be delighted to share their results with you and the community. 

If you were in the market for a new pressure washer you might like to read through our Best Advice article: What pressure cleaner do you recommend?. You should also find this guide useful: Everything you need to know about pressure washers.

I've be using a Gerni 1500w 1810psi Classic High-Pressure Cleaner for the past several years and have been pleased with it's performance.

Please let us know if you ever need assistance with a project around your home or garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects