Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

nishtha
Growing in Experience

How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

We have a ton of outdoor timber that needs some attention.

There is deck, deck railing, wooden steps, gates that need to be painted.

Planning to paint all the surfaces in a combination of dark brown, white and charcoal black.

Is there an undercoat that's recommended?

Looking for something that is stain blocking and mould resistant.

Also does is matter if the undercoat is white. Does it affect if the top coat is of a different colour.

Keen to hear your responses!

nishtha
Growing in Experience

Re: How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

Amazing thanks for the clarification!

Regards the deck and steps .. what do I use as the undercoat? Or do I don't need to use an undercoat and go straight to the Cabot's deck paint?.. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

Hi @nishtha,

I would advise sanding the deck before applying Cabot's deck paint. Not only is there a stain on it, but the surface appears deteriorated. You can paint over stained timber with a standard paint, such as the Cabot's deck paint. If an active stain is leeched out of the surface, then it's best to use a stain blocker. Your current deck stain shouldn't be an issue just to paint over unless you're going for a white or very light colour.

As mentioned, I suggest sanding your deck or, at the very least, giving it a good scrub down with Cabot's deck clean before painting. The deck clean will help remove any residual stain in the deck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects