Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to partially cover my drain?

bradwallace
Just Starting Out

How to partially cover my drain?

43877DCD-08EF-495E-824D-5536E5C80305.jpeg

Hi everyone, I’m looking for ideas for what I can do with my drain in the backyard. I have made a playground for my daughter but there’s a drain in the middle. I want to use as much as space as possible. Is there a way I can cover it sorta but also not that the same time so it still has access? Just need something that’s safe too as she’s 1 

thanks In advance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover My Drain but not Fully

Hi @bradwallace,

I'm keen to hear more about whether your daughter's new playground is over this area or next to it. Is this an area off to the side, and do you need to prevent her from accessing the drain? 

Perhaps a simple option would be to lay Pine sleepers over the drain, so they are flush with the surrounding soil. If you leave sufficient gaps between them, then they shouldn't impede water flow all that much.

She's a bit young now, but you could consider installing a cubby house over the drain. You'd need to create a raised floor for it, allowing water to drain underneath.

Another option might be to fill over the drain with pebbles large enough that they won't fall through the grill.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects