Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plant trees in clay soil?

rosey55
Finding My Feet

How to plant trees in clay soil?

tree 1.jpegtree 3.jpegtree 2.jpegHi I work at a school, some staff have planted Lilly Pillys, silver birch and Japanese Maple. The problem is, they planted the new trees in the ground which is gravel and clay. The trees are starting to die off. What should I do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to plant trees in clay soil?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rosey55. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tree care.

Would you be able to share some images of the trees so our members can better assess their condition and provide their thoughts? Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

I'm so sorry to hear that your newly planted trees are under stress. It doesn't sound like the best planting conditions, especially if no remedial work was completed around the trees to improve the soil quality.

At a minimum, large holes would need to have been dug around three times the rootball and backfilled with quality soil. Even then, if there is a heavy clay-base, the plant roots would likely be sitting in water. There's not much you can do about that apart from building the soil up and planting the trees into mounds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to plant trees in clay soil?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rosey55.

Unfortunately this seems to be a common challenge. In addition to Mitch's helpful advice, have a look at the advice shared in this discussion: How to plant roses in clay soil?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects