Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prep timber post for paint or stain?

aj88
Just Starting Out

How to prep timber post for paint or stain?

Hi, 

I recently bought some timber post and would like to paint/stain them prior to erecting them.

The post i purchased appear to be dirty. What is the best way to get them in a reasonable appearance ready for paint/stain? Do I just brush them with water/cleaning solution or lightly sand them?

20230330_162330.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prep timber post for paint or stain?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aj88. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning timber.

I recommend that you give them a scrub down with Feast Watson 1L Woodclean and a stiff bristle brush. This product will remove the discolouration and return the posts to looking like new. You'll then be able to apply the stain of your choice. By preparing the timber, you'll avoid any discolouration through the final semi-translucent stain. Remember to wear PPE when using the timber prep solution, including safety glasses, gloves, face mask, long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

If you were painting the posts, you should only need to give them a quick sanding before applying your coating.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects