Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent weeds growing between patio bricks?

SK
Getting Established

How to prevent weeds growing between patio bricks?

SmartSelect_20221130-124151_Photos.jpg

Hoping to get rid of 1) all weeds growth along the bricks lines for good (or at least 5-10years, if possible), particularly more  during rainy season in winter & spring, without the use of any chemical spray on an uncovered patio area (if possible) use for BBQ. There's a fruits bearing grape tree & other plants nearby, hence harsh chemicals is to be avoided. 2) flexibly seal up the gaps in between bricks & stop ants (potentially living underneath the bricks) from lifting up soils underneath to the surface, with minimal risks of cracks later on  between brick lines & on bricks (in case of expansion/contraction along the lines & edges.

SmartSelect_20221130-124114_Photos.jpg

Planning to pressure & blow wash the entire Patio to have all the soils & weeds cleared from the surface. What should I use to properly seal up all the joint lines, in the most efficient & effective way, with minimum impact to veggies & fruits bearing plants nearby ? Thank You. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to prevent weeds growing between patio bricks?

Hello @SK,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us, and trust you're finding it a great place for useful D.I.Y advice and inspiring ideas. 

Thanks for your question on preventing weeds from growing between patio bricks. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist you with this question when he's back on the site later today. Also tagging @Adam_W in case he has any suggestions.

In the meantime, you may want to check out our Best Advice article on How to control weeds in the garden which also has a section on removing weeds from pavers and paths.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SK,

If you follow the directions on the label, spraying path weeder once a year will not affect any nearby veggies or fruit-bearing plants. Ants would need to be dealt with by applying Ant Sand periodically.

Sand is used between your brick pavers to allow for the movement experienced between them. If you were to use a cement-based product, it would eventually crack. You could look to a product like Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand which is flexible in nature and a polymer-based product that is resistant to weed growth. You can see @TimD use this product in his How to repair an old brick path discussion.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

SK
Getting Established

Hi @ @Mitchell

Appreciate the detailed explanation.

Unfortunately, Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand isn't available in all Bunning stores nearby . Is there another similar alternative ?

I've read your link also to TimD' s post.

It seems Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand and Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement at ratio of 3:1 (with spray gun) might be what I need if there's no single alternative to Paving Sand above.

But, Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement is also unavailable at  Bunnings stores nearby. Are there any smaller size bag (8kg-10kg) Cement that can be substituted ?

Thank You.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise that the Dingo Powerloc is unavailable at your local stores @SK. Using cement is certainly an option. 

You could substitute the larger cement bags for 3kg Mortar bags.

Mitchell

SK
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc

It seems the 3kg Mortal bag link isn't available at our nearby Bunnings too. 

Found this while trying to do a generic search on "Mortal bag" 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/westbuild-9-5kg-general-purpose-sand-and-cement_p0760169

https://www.bunnings.com.au/westbuild-20kg-sand-and-cement-dry-mix_p0760438 

Any chance that you may help check if they have polymers added, to serve as substitute to Dingo Powerloc, given they already have the sand & cement premix. 

Would the same concepts (sand, cement, polymers) be useful to fill and control weeds on Concrete Driveway joints as well, and in what ratio to not induce cracks ? 

Thanks again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be a suitable product @SK. However, it doesn't have the flexibility of the Powerloc, so you might need to touch up some hairline cracks in the future.

Mitchell

SK
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc. Potential cracks is what we hope to avoid, if possible.

What could be another alternative(s) to Powerloc, or other mixes of sands & cements gels that can stick& wouldn't  cracks easily ? Thanks again. @@@

@

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There isn't any other product that can be swept into the cracks that I am aware of @SK. As mentioned in the other discussion, there are flexible sealants, but that is not something you'd attempt on bricks.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects