Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect water pipe and electric wire from weather damage?

atul221282
Growing in Experience

How to protect water pipe and electric wire from weather damage?

Hi everyone,

As you can see in the picture, I have water supply and electric supply going from the main house to the granny flat, which is about half the size of my hand. I want to cover all of this to protect it from weather damage. Do you have any recommendations for what I can use to achieve that? I have attached photos for reference.

Kind Regards

20230712_142601.jpg20230712_142628.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Protect water pipe and electric wire from weather damage

Hi @atul221282,

Thank you for your question about protecting your water pipe and wires. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online this afternoon to assist but I will tag in our experienced Workshop members @CSParnell@Dave-1, and @Brad to check on the advice they would give. Are you able to share some measurements? This may aid in the best solution.

We would love to see how you tackle this project, please let us know how you go with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to protect water pipe and electric wire from weather damage?

Good Morning @atul221282 

Now thats an interesting issue. 

A few questions

Is that white pipe that the power is attached to a supporting pipe/beam?

Do you know where the studs are on the inside of the garage? 

I was thinking of a upside down U type cover for support to the hot water and cold water pipes but then notice you have shut off valves top and bottom. 20230712_142628.jpg

So the bit in red is timber fastened to go between the studs withing the garage wall.

The black is just to show some timber supports that will hold the piping / cabling in place plus the "roof" part to cover it all.

The green is supposed to be a large box gutter upside down to fit over the top and tcome down the sides leaving the underside open to access the shut off valves. or Ridge cap  you could use instead. 

I am thinking more of something that will support and stand up to the weather over time. You will need a bracket also attached to your facia on teh house side and I would find probarly try to screw to the trusses behind the facia if you can.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @atul221282 

Thanks for sharing your question about protecting your water and electrical connections. I agree with @Dave-1's recommendation, a ridge cap would provide adequate protection for your exposed wires and pipework. I recommend using 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 2.4m in combination with Fielders 2.4m 350mm Zinc Rolltop Ridge.

It is also light enough that you can install it between your roof and the adjacent wall. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can put it together. 

My best advice is to visit your local store to give you an idea of how big the ridge cap is.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@atul221282 just to reassure how that electrical is run is safe and it isn't exposed wires so nobody set off any alarms here ok 😉, it is enclosed in UV resistant corrugated conduit.

As @EricL and @Dave-1 have explained is fine, if there is a chance of mechanical damage to the corrugated conduit then fully enclosing would be best.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects