Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to pump up wheelbarrow tyre

Concrete1
Just Starting Out

How to pump up wheelbarrow tyre

How do I access the valve to pump up the wheelbarrow tyre? It’s in a very tight spot. Thank you88D61DCD-F5F5-44F9-A4F4-E231E43C49E4.jpeg

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: How to pump up wheelbarrow tyre

Hi @Concrete1 , you can actually buy a 90 degree valve extension that screws onto the existing valve , most decent tyre shops should have them , or  buy a tube with a 90 degree valve on it and change it over

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Concrete1. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

I see @wooshka has given a helpful reply already which is great to see. A 90-degree valve on the inner tube would certainly make pumping the tube up easier.

Most foot pumps will come with a 90-degree attachment already on them similar to this one pictured.

Whether your pump has one or not, you should still be able to attach it to the valve. A common issue with deflated wheelbarrow innertubes is that when you try to attach an adaptor to the valve (as it is not supported) it gets pushed back inside the rim making the process difficult. If this is whats is causing an issue, pull the valve out as far as it will come with long-nosed pliers and hold the valve stem in position while attaching the pumps adaptor. You should also find the valve stem has a certain amount of flex to it and should allow you to bend it away from the tyre rim allowing your pump to clear the axel if needed.

If you can take a picture of the type of adaptor you are using, I might be able to advise further actions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wooshka
Making a Splash

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/6006495607?iid=322800037255&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960...

this is the type of thing i was recommending , also stops the valve falling inside if it goes flat.

It is frustrating that they are not fitted with a better designed valve already

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects