Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to put up barrier against or near metal house posts for gravel and stepping stones?

escby2
Finding My Feet

How to put up barrier against or near metal house posts for gravel and stepping stones?

C65EE579-15AF-4EDE-85FB-2EDA8EAB311F.jpeg

69D2CD08-A11E-477B-BF0D-16BCCB80B907.jpeg

Hi all,

After 20+ years not knowing how to solve this issue and living on a farm with unlevel ground I wish build up gravel and pave up to metal house posts. Our place is subject to paddock runoff from contour banks and I am terrified of white ants etc so I don’t know how or what kind of barrier I can use. It’s better if I show you photos of what I would like (not my image) Vs existing old pavers. Apologies if I have not explained myself very well as it is my first post. Confused Bunnings shopper! Samantha

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to put up barrier against or near metal house posts for gravel and stepping stones?

Hi Samantha @escby2,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. Great to see you make your first post after being a member for so long. 

Apologies for the slow reply - many of our community members are enjoying a well-earned break at the moment. 

Can you please confirm that the top photo is some inspiration of what you would like to achieve and the bottom photo is your house? 

We did something similar at our place with bluestone rounds, railway sleepers, and garden bed. We used the sleepers to step down as it's a gentle slope. We're really happy with the results - I'll pop a photo below from a while ago - the garden is much more established now. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to put up barrier against or near metal house posts for gravel and stepping stones?

Thanks Jason. Yes the top photo is something I have in mind and bottom photo is the back of our place. I don’t want to screw anything to the metal house posts and am reluctant to place sleepers against those posts. We have a concrete carport which we would like to build up level with (Approximately 150mm high) in places so was thinking some kind of retaining wall but not directly against house posts. Thank you for responding. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the clarification @escby2.

You might get some ideas from How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W. Hopefully Adam can also share his thoughts by replying below when he gets a chance. I will also ask @MitchellMc to assist you when he is back from his break at the end of the week. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @escby2

You might like to look at our range of concrete sleepers. They'd hold back your gravel without encouraging white ants. I wouldn't have thought gravel to be a medium that would overly encourage white ants. Normally, timber sleepers, bark and organic material need to be held back from dwellings in white ant prone areas.

There are also preventative products like David Grays 500ml Ant and Termite Spray which can be applied around your home's perimeter to discourage white ants.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you going with your project Samantha? (@escby2

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects