Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rejuvenate Merbau decking colour?

BenN1
Growing in Experience

How to rejuvenate Merbau decking colour?

Hey everyone! Seeking some advice here. A couple of months back, I had my merbau decking set up in my backyard. I made sure to follow the recommended steps, letting the decking weather for a few weeks before applying Cabot’s Natural Decking Oil (applied it twice after proper preparation). But here's the thing, I'm not quite getting the vibrant natural merbau color I was aiming for. Instead, it's looking a bit grey and worn out, way older than it should. Is this par for the course or might I have missed something? I'd really appreciate your insights and any suggestions on what I could possibly do to rectify this. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Merbau decking colour

Hi @BenN1,

Something odd has occurred, and I can quite put my finger on it. You're correct that this is not the appearance I would expect from a deck that's had oil applied to it within the last several weeks.

I'd recommend you give the deck a good scrub down with Cabot's 1L Deck Clean and a stiff bristle brush. Blast off this mixture with your hose and a jet nozzle or a high-pressure sprayer. My thoughts are that there is mud or contaminants on the deck, and you'd want to flood the deck with water to remove them after the cleaning process.

Next, after waiting for the deck to dry fully, apply Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil. This is the same as the product you used before but includes the Merbau coloured tints to restore colouring. Typically, the Natural version would be fine for the first-ever coat, but given your results, let's switch to the Merbau version.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc . Really appreciate your advice. Will follow the steps and keep you posted. Just confirming if it is ok (recommended) to use high pressure wash to clean the deck. Thanks! Ben

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's fine to use a high-pressure washer on your deck @BenN1. Don't place the nozzle right against the timber; keep it 10-15cm away.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc. Will give it a try. Cheers Ben!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects