Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rejuvenate old exterior grout on balcony tiles?

kyap
Just Starting Out

How to rejuvenate old exterior grout on balcony tiles?

Hello, first post and new to DIY. I have a balcony that has old and cracked grout inbetween tiles. I'm wondering if I can simply use something like the Datco rejuvenation grout over the top of it, rather than having to remove and regrout the entire thing.

I had a look at the previous very detailed post on redoing exterior grout but I'm hoping mine is not too bad and can just be reapplied on top of the existing. Photo attached is of the worst cracking.

Looking for an easy solution to stop excess water seeping through for the next couple of years (after which we may do more extensive renovations). The balcony is covered but heavy storms or wind will get the tiles wet.

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated!

1000035476.jpg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: Rejuvenate old exterior grout

Hi @kyap,

The Davco Rejuvenation Grout should be great for this as it can just be applied over the top of the existing grout. Keep in mind that this product requires at minimum 1mm of depth below the tiles to be effective so in the areas where the grout is quite high, you may need to use something like the QEP Grout Saw to remove some material before applying the Davco Rejuvenation Grout over it.

Once the prep work is done, make sure to clean and remove all the loose material before reapplying the new grout to ensure the best adhesion possible.

I look forward to seeing the photos when it is done!

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to rejuvenate old exterior grout on balcony tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kyap. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring grout.

@JacobZ95 is on the money there and has provided great advice. Just ensure you have the required height and knock out any loose grout and debris before starting. Much of what is in your image is heavily degraded and needs to come out. If the area is not too large, a multitool and diamond blade can be used to chase out the grout lines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects