Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove moss/algae and weeds from brick paving?

sandeeps
Finding My Feet

How to remove moss/algae and weeds from brick paving?

I have moss/algae between the bricks and weeds in some areas in my backyard. I have tried pressure washing a small section, it does help to get rid of the moss/algae.

1. What would you recommend to restore the areas?

2. What are the suggestions to prevent recurrence?

IMG_7855.jpgIMG_7856.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove moss/algae and weeds from brick paving?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sandeeps. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing weed and moss growth between paving.

If you have more paving than what's pictured, you might consider investing in a patio cleaning head attachment, as it will vastly improve your ability to clean large surface areas.

Once you've blasted most of the moss out of the gaps, you can use a cleaning solution similar to 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate. This will give you the best chance of restoring the bricks and removing staining that the pressure washer alone can't budge. After you have finished cleaning the area, I recommend you apply some Glitz 2L Outdoor Spray And Go Concentrate, as it is specifically formulated to effectively remove and control further growth of lichen, moss, mould and algae. Depending on how much sunlight reaches these pavers, you might need to apply the spray periodically throughout the year to maintain the area.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I went ahead with the pressure washing of part of the area. I was able to blast off the moss. In addition, quite a lot of sand is also washed off. Some pictures are below. As suggested I will use  30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate. to clean the bricks and stains. 

Few more questions, what should I do to fill in the gaps between the bricks? The gaps vary from 5 mm to 10 mm, and the depth is around 50 - 80mm. What material should I use, and what is a good way to fill these gaps?

IMG_7940.jpgIMG_7941.jpgIMG_7942.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Ordinary paving sand or Powerloc sand are the best products to use between these pavers @sandeeps. The polymer-based paving sand sets within the joints which prevents it from being washed out.

You'll want to pour out the sandbags on the pavers and then sweep the sand all over with a stiff bristle broom until the joints are filled. Using a rubber mallet or compactor will ensure the sand makes its way to the bottom of the joint. Water the sand in with a fine spray from your garden hose. You can then come back and top up any joints that have sunken. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc what is the coverage of the paving sand? I blasted out my driveway over the weekend, and need to fill the interlocking brick with sand now. Its probably 15m x 4m so 60 sqm?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bluetooth

Thank you for sharing your question about the coverage of paving sand. Generally, a 20kg bag of paving sand will cover an area of 12-square meters with a paver size of 400mm. But if the paver is smaller and there are more gaps to fill it will decrease the coverage area. I suggest starting out with 5 bags, you should be able to do an approximation of the coverage on the first bag. 

If you run short you'll need to get a few more bags. However, any bags unopened can be returned to the store or you can keep them in your shed so that you can top up the sand once a year.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your driveway revamp project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello, 

Hoping someone can help, id like to get these bricks looking fresh, i would prefer not to paint them just clean them.

I have already used  30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate to attempt to clean these brick from stains / mould. 

I have also used a pressure cleaner but they have still got stains/ mould. 

20221023_131402.jpg

Anything else you can recommend?

Em

Hello @Herrenovacation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bricks.

I believe the moss and stains have embedded themselves deeply into the structure of the brick. It might be necessary to do a second application of 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate in combination with a Patio or surface cleaning head. This type of attachment has a special rotary action that provides a much more comprehensive clean than just an ordinary wand sprayer. 

Looking at your brick wall staining might have occurred due to natural aging. I propose testing an out-of-the-way section of your brick wall with CLR 1L Calcium Lime Rust Remover. If you get positive results you can do the rest of the brick wall. Using stronger chemicals might be harmful to the structure of the brick wall. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your brick wall stain-free and clean.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects