Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove oil stain from etched and ground concrete floor?

Glyph
Getting Established

How to remove oil stain from etched and ground concrete floor?

Hi all. We had a new concrete patio poured recently, which then had a grind, acid etched, and seal with Crommelin Satin Enhance. It's beautiful and cost a fortune and now a few months in, and my kids have managed to spill mosquito replant cream (Rid) on it, which has left whats looks like an oil stain right outside the entry door. Unbelievable.

Does anyone know how I might be able to remove this stain? It looks likes its been absorbed through the sealer. I tried scrubbing and pressure washing but no luck.

concretefloor.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove oil stain from etched and ground concrete floor?

Hi @Glyph

Thanks for sharing your question about removing an oil stain on your concrete floor. You're correct, Rid's active ingredient is DEET which is an oil-based product. It's this oil that has embedded itself into your concrete. I suggest using CLR 750ml Oil And Grease Remover and scrubbing it with a Mr. Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush. Please make sure to follow the instructions at the back of the bottle as this cleaner is a concentrate. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glyph
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, I will try CLR. Will this impact the Crommelin Enhance Satin seal? I'm just mindful of damaging the seal while trying to fix the stain?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Glyph

I'm actually surprised it penetrated the seal. I thought that the seal would have made the oil form a pool for you to simply wipe off. I suggest testing a small area first to see if it works. Make sure to stay within the affected area only so as not to affect any other part of your concrete floor. Once the area is clean you will have to re-seal that spot with the Crommmelin sealer that you used.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your concrete floor shiny and clean.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glyph
Getting Established

Yes its disappointing. The idea behind the sealer is to protect the concrete from this very issue. I will let you know how it goes.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects