Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove or lessen marks on Silver Grey Pavers

sat
Getting Established

How to remove or lessen marks on Silver Grey Pavers

We are currently installing Silver Grey Pavers outdoors in our backyard. Some of the pavers have yellow marks and some have balck blobs. Can these be removed or can they be hidden by tinting the pavers?

Please do adviseSilver Grey PaversSilver Grey Pavers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove or lessen marks on Silver Grey Pavers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sat. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Are these new pavers that you are installing? I'm asking because you might be able to conceal or remove the staining, however, I would be concerned if these are how you purchased them. That appears to be some type of ferrous metal induced rust staining or potentially due to tannins leeching onto the tiles. In both cases, you can only really try products like CLR for rust stains or an acid wash for other stain types.

The main issue that arises with removing this type of staining is where it is located. If it is just a surface stain it can be easily removed but if it has penetrated deeper it can be difficult or impossible to remove.

Let me mention the ever-helpful @Brad and @Adam_W to see if they might like to contribute to the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sat
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

These are just purchased. Is it normal for this colour pavers to come with these stains?

Will await for @Brad and @Adam W, advice as well

many thanks

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

In my limited experience of paving I would say that is not normal. Were they 2nds?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@sat,

As @Brad has mentioned I would agree that the degree of staining is not normal. I would be looking to exchange the stained pavers for ones that do not have the issue. If you purchased these from Bunnings I would be more than happy to assist you with the exchange process. 

Please let me know if they are a Bunnings product as I will then contact you to get further details.

Mitchell

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @sat 
No. Absolutely not normal.
@MitchellMc nailed it, they look to have been stained while stored & it looks like tannins from hardwood or rust/iron stains.
Pavers such as that should be a consistent colour (allowing for 'natural' variations).
I'd be having a chat with your supplier because if you are positive it hasn't happened at your end & they were supposed to be 1st, not 2nds quality as @Brad mentioned, then they should be remedying the problem.

sat
Getting Established

Many thanks Adam

Appreciate the help.

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sat,

I'm sorry to hear that these are not a Bunnings product and that you might have issues returning them to the place of purchase. We would be more than happy to assist you in trying to remove the stains. Let me mention @Adam_W@Brad and @Yorky88 to see if they have any opinions on how you could go about removing the staining.

I mentioned it would be worth trying CLR for rust stains or an acid wash to remove tannins. Do the pavers have a black grout around them? You might want to try and keep those products off the grout as they could discolour it.

I look forward to hearing what our other member's opinions are on removing these stains and hope we can find a solution to this issue.

Mitchell

sat
Getting Established

Many thanks Mitchell

Will have a go with CLR and acid wash.

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sat,

I thought I would just check-in to see if you've had any luck removing the staining. Did any of those products work for you?

Please let me know if you need further assistance or if we could suggest some other options for the staining.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects