Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove steel mesh from security door?

CousinLarry
Just Starting Out

How to remove steel mesh from security door?

I’d like to remove the steel mesh on this security door. Would the best way be to angle grind the mesh out? End goal is to have just the fly wire in the frame to allow more light in and not make it look so foreboding!

IMG_1946.jpeg

ire in there. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to convert security door to just flywire door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CousinLarry. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing the steel mesh from a security door.

Your method could potentially work, though the mesh adds structural integrity to the door. The frame might not be especially strong if the mesh is removed. If the frame can then flex out of square, it will bind quite readily in the track. Some additional corner brace brackets might assist with this. Another concern I have is that although you could trim the mesh flush with the frame, you're still going to be left with a relatively jagged edge where the mesh was welded in place. Perhaps some type of trim around the edge could cover this area, or you might be able to sand the edge smooth.

Before proceeding, ensure that you have the appropriate safety gear, such as eye protection and gloves. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the angle grinder and work slowly and carefully to avoid damaging the door or creating excessive heat or sparks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects