Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint a 50 year old concrete yard?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

How to repaint a 50 year old concrete yard?

I have some concrete areas in the back that are either well aged and faded in colour and these are mixed with some newly concreted areas where the old stuff was so bad there was no choice but to replace it.

I am a pensioner with little money and limited skills but have to do the job myself because I can't afford to pay someone.

I want to repaint the whole area.

I have some concrete paint.

My main questions are:

What sort of primer or sealer or primer/sealer do I need?

Can I use a roller and, if so, is there a particular type I should get?

Once it is painted, should I seal over the new paint?

If I have to seal after painting, what do I use?

Any other tips anyone can offer, I will appreciate.

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1036.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint a 50 year old concrete yard?

Hello @nonsibicunctis

Thank you for sharing your question about how to paint your concrete yard. Ideally I would suggest using a pressure washer in combination with 30 Seconds 2L Outdoor Cleaner With Rapid Hose End Technology. However, if you don't have access to a pressure washer a stiff scrubbing bristle broom will do the job.

Make sure to give the 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner enough time to work before hosing it off. You mentioned you had some concrete paint, can you please post a photo of the can so that we can identify what kind of paint you have? Have you only recently purchased this paint or has it been with you for a while? Unfortunately, if the paint is too old, I wouldn't recommend using it on your concrete as it may peel off and not last.

For your area, I suggest using White Knight 4L Medium Grey Ultra Pave Heavy Duty Concrete And Paving Paint. This paint can be applied straight on and does not require any primer. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a concrete driveway.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects