Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint concrete in backyard?

monika2
Finding My Feet

How to repaint concrete in backyard?

24E17FCA-B763-4671-A4D4-1A3AF637A5CF.jpeg

Hi, i want to repaint the courtyard as you can see the paint had come off. Already did pressure wash. What to do next? This is my first time no hand on experience in this. Please advise.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint concrete backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @monika2. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about recoating concrete.

As your paint has begun to peel, it is now considered compromised, and the majority of our concrete paints are ruled out as they don't recommend or warrant their products over compromised coatings. They can either be applied to bare concrete or a coating in good condition. The reason for this is that the old coating will likely continue to peel causing the new coating to fail as well. 

The options are to use a primer designed for compromised coated surfaces, such as the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer and their compatible topcoats, or remove the compromised paint off the entire surface, which would be a tedious task at best. Unfortunately, the compatible topcoats for the Recoat primer are limited to a few shades of grey.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply. Can you advise if I clean and put the primer shared by you how long will it stay? We are okay with grey color. What do you reckon?

option 2- paint the same blue color and let it last for few months later on change it to grey.

And both the products suggested are primer? One says primer and paint. Which one to put?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's hard to give you an exact length of time it will last, as that really depends on how compromised your paint is @monika2. You might see 5-10 years if everything is in your favour.

The Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer is the primer to go over your compromised paint to bind and prepare it. The topcoat goes over the Recoat primer. It also says primer as it is designed to go straight onto bare concrete without the need for a separate primer. So, you'll need both the Recoat primer and then the topcoat.

You could certainly apply a standard concrete paint over the compromised one. How long it will last is a bit unknown, though. It could peel immediately, or you might get a couple of years.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. I would like to add one more point. It chipped off just because we used the pressure wash wrongly. 

just one more qs can we use the primer and instead of top coat of grey can we use primer and normal blue concrete paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could attempt to @monika2, but that Recoat primer has only been designed and tested with those specific topcoats. To change to blue, you'd need to use another company's topcoat.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @monika2 

Just a word of when I repainted my patio, I pressure washed, sanded and brushed with a brush attachment of my drill to remove as much of the "flaky paint" as I could. It removed the majority of the paint and everything else that was left fely "attached" Even so after I painted it still had sections that I thought were ok "lift" I scraped again and repainted and they have held fine for about 6months so far. 

Go for more removal of paint if possibel is my best offer.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects