Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a long crack in a colorbond roof?

MarcinW
Growing in Experience

How to repair a long crack in a colorbond roof?

358930C4-F504-400F-996B-633B46EB1127.jpeg

A6E0487D-DA57-4B31-BE73-DDEBDE5F7563.jpeg

Hello experts and fellow community members!

I have a long crack (appr 70cm) in the colourbond (metal)  gazebo roof. Someone must have stepped on it and the unsupported part that’s in between the beams have cracked. I have straighten the metal sheet as much as I could but obviously there’s still a gap that varies between 1mm and 1.5cm. Please see the photos attached (the water runs from right to left). 

Is there a way of fixing it without replacing the entire metal sheet? I would like to avoid the replacement which would be a considerable exercise with cutting to measure and installing in a difficult to access place. 

5D43B11B-6310-4F22-86AD-B9E7DD8C4249.jpeg

1C25C1CE-22A7-45F9-8CBD-E7E7CCFF408B.jpeg

Is there a way to patch it with a some soft, waterproof material and/or waterproofing with Silka/silicone like material?

Again, thank you for all ideas and your expertise!

Cheers, Marcin 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair a long crack in a colorbond roof?

@MarcinW 

Ouch! is the first thought. Second thought is its fixable id say :smile:

I have a rust hole in one of my sheets at home and I have filled it wth silicone (Not the wisest but it was all I had) The water sits behind the silicone as its only a very low sloping roof so it causes the metal to continue to want to rust.

When I go to fix it proporly, I will be cutting across the whole sheet above the hole/tear/crack like you have in a straight line just below the last supporting noggin (Timber piece under the couragated sheet) Then putting a shorter lenth up underneath the cut so it overlaps by say 20cm or to the next timber noggin. Just something solid to screw the sheet metal into.

In your instance Id be removing the screws at the base of the sheet, look for the screws above the cut and remove them. Then finish cutting the crack through. I would then square the cut up. Meausure from the 20cm above the last noggin/timber the sheet was screwed to above the crack, cut  a new piece and then slide under the existing sheet. Remember to only screw the Hills of the couragatted sheet as you dont want water dripping through on the valleys.

Hope this helps. And yeah I still havnt done my roof yet.

Dave

MarcinW
Growing in Experience

Thank you @Dave-1 ! Sounds like a great idea and doable!

I was hoping for a solution involving a putty/flexible cement I could press against the gap…I know there are dark ‘bitumen-like’ type of adhesives/sealants that are used to waterproof tiled roofs. Perhaps this could work if it’s plastic enough to be moulded into the gos and stick on?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MarcinW 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing your Colorbond roof.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Moving the bottom portion of the sheet so that there will be a 20mm overlap is genius thinking. It's also a very achievable repair option, I suggest using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. It has UV resistance built into it and is formulated to be used even when it's raining.

Unfortunately, any repair material that is not UV protected will not last very long and you'll end up with a leak again. I recommend either replacing the sheet or repairing it with the same type of material.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MarcinW 

The resaon I didnt really want to suggest the black sticky waterproof material is that crack is almost through the sheet, there is no structual support for any flex so it would be very short lived in ny kind of hard weather. I have used the Black rapid flash repair on my gutters and it worked for maybe 3 storms. It isnt structual, Not sure how sticky it will stay with say a windy day with the roof flexing. If A storm was coming and you had to have a repair then maybe. But id be thinking of replacing part of that sheet or all as much as no one wants to. 😕

Dave

MarcinW
Growing in Experience

Thank you @EricL Eric. I’ll use the Shelley Storm sealant in combination with @Dave-1 ‘s suggestions!

MarcinW
Growing in Experience

I think you are right @Dave-1  I’m off it Bunnings now to get the screws and the sealant and will follow your idea. Thank you again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @MarcinW, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects