Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a rotting fence post?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to repair a rotting fence post?

Hi Team 

I have a 1 fence post leaning towards back intially due to strong wind and rotten. Now I check, it is leaning towards front.

Just wondering if reinforcement will help straighten the post as it is too costly to change the whole fence. At least it can last for another few more years.

1. Can someone please advise what reinforcement , and other tools should I purchase? 

2. Also should I install 1 or 2 reinforcement ? 

3. Should the reinforcement be installed at the front or 1 side or both side.

Im hoping to get it repaired before the next storm.

See attached some photos

IMG20220313145656.jpg

IMG20220313145232.jpg

IMG20220313145329.jpg

Also, note that there is another post which is still in tact , having an existing enforcement as per photo.

IMG20220313151618.jpg

Looking forward to hearing from an expert.

Many thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front fence post rotting repair

It looks like it's time for a new post there @Thierry. The cost for the post is likely not a whole heap more than what it would cost for the two post supports you'll need to fix the situation temporarily. 

A couple of Whites 165cm Premium Black Ultraposts should be enough on the property side of the fence. Drive them nice and deep into the ground right next to where the fence post should be. Create a bit of a pulley system with some rope and host the fence back into position. Drive some coach bolts through the holes in the steel posts and into the timber post. That should hold the fence in place, albeit temporarily.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

So 1 " Whites 165cm Premium Black Ultraposts" is enough to be installed at only 1 side of the post fence?

Also i notice the "Whites 165cm Premium Black Ultraposts" is not wide, so no need to remove any fence to set it up 

Thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest using two of those Ultraposts on the property side just to be safe @Thierry. No need to remove any fence, just drive them nice and close to the fence posts base and perpendicular to the ground.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How deep should the post be underground?

I saw this "FPBM44E 90mm Fence Post Repair and Reinforcement E-Z Mender"

How would you compare it to your suggestion?

Can u suggest a hammer?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could do a combo, one of each @Thierry. I like the look of the E-Z Mender, but a long post that can attach higher up your timber post has the benefit of leverage when trying to hold the weight of the fence. If you can get the fence back in line and then drive in the E-Z Menders in on either side, they could have a good chance of working.

You'll want to drive the Ultrapost in as deep as possible, and I'd suggest a 1.8kg or, better still, a 3.6kg sledge hammer. Try for at least 600mm in the ground.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

The leaning post is quite loose, i can straighten it up with one hand...

My plan, get someone to straighten the fence for me, while i dig in the ultrapost in - as this is your preferred option -: the ultrapost  willl give a better result

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

I just bought the "Whites 165cm Premium Black Ultraposts"

I notice my post fence height is 155cm.

1. The 165cm ultrapost when digged down will appear to be lower than the fence height, will it still be ok?

2. Do i need to predrill the fence post before screwing the bolts?

3. What size bolts do you recommend given the width of fence is 7cm?

I tried to do a test with the roofing screws i already have but they have got a stopper which prevent the screw from going any further inside

IMG_20220319_124702.jpg

Also, what 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Having the post less than the height of the fence is fine @Thierry. I'd suggest using Zenith M6 x 65mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Coach Screws, and you'll need to pre-drill first with a Sutton Tools 4mm Viper Jobber Drill Bit.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How many coach screws to buy? Im trying on 1 post at this stage.

And screws head is not a normal one, do i need to buy an adaptor for the drill thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects