Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a retaining wall?

AnnaWilde94
Finding My Feet

How to replace a retaining wall?

Hello,

We've recently removed an old, rotten wood retaining wall and are looking to re-do it. I'm looking for advice on what would be good to do: replacing the timber, or the traditional rounded retaining wall bricks? I would only want it to be 2 bricks high maximum. Would i need to build a 3rd brick into the ground? The wall is on the exterior of a brick home. 

0.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a retaining wall?

Hello @AnnaWilde94 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your retaining wall. 

From a replacement point of view the quick turnaround would be to put in new sleepers and footings. But if you were to use bricks, I would suggest putting in a basic concrete footing to keep the bricks lined up and stable. Although both products would last a long time the advantage of bricks is that you can take it apart and line them up them up again.

A good example is the Brighton Masonry 130 x 100 x 200mm Cream Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block. It's the perfect DIY garden wall block for creating straight and curved garden beds and planter boxes up to 300mm in height. The rear-lip locking system makes stacking the blocks quick and easy.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay Ezi Wall

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @AnnaWilde94 

Just looking at the edge of the timber and it dosnt seem to be a lot of difference in height between the existing grass area and the dirt behind the timber board. Do you want a garden bed or do you want to replace the timber edge because you want to keep those pebbles insitu?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. We have a 0 boundary line between our property and the one next door. Looks like the existing structure is there to line up with the fence at either end of their house. I don't want to have a garden bed, as it is full shade and don't want to increase moisture and the risk of termites to their property. This is why i was thinking possible a small brick retaining wall. I was probably buy new stones so they look a bit nicer, if i were to replace with timber and back fill with stones.

Thanks again,

Anna

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @AnnaWilde94 

That makes sense :smile: How about instead of a retaining wall, lay one row of pavers where that wall is? You wont need to maintain, its tidy and excess water wont hang around?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects