Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace this post on deck stairs?

Quachy
Getting Established

How to replace this post on deck stairs?

Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to remove this post and replace it?

Do you think the post is rooted into the cement? so I will need to use a demolition hammar to get it out?

1) demolition hammar to break up the cement

2) remove post

3) put new post in

4) patch up with cement

And what about the slanted timber piece right behind the post, is that rooted in the cement as well? or is it just sitting on top of of the cement?

IMG-78d49f15eba2056ea1b53e401c706e22-V.jpgfooting for the postfooting for the postthis is the footing for the postthis is the footing for the post.       close up of the footingclose up of the footingthis is the left footing with some context of the stepsthis is the left footing with some context of the steps

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace this post on deck stairs?

Hi @Quachy 

Good  move on spotting that Post it looks good and ready to fail and those steps are a little on the ready to  fall apart side too

As a project can I suggest a new set of three step stringers not just a post.  Either  timber or steel that simply rest on the ground on top of your pavers (dig out old post 100 mm deep only is ok and fill with cement with a cut to size paver cap. Steel and treated pine options at Bunnings web site type in search (stringer 3) for options.

Your hand rails look ok you could recycle them just replace front post and attach to new stringer  set.

See what you think as a starter guide.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stringer-h3-treated-pine-suits-3-tread_p0052935

Stringer H3 Treated Pine Suits 3 Tread I/N: 0052935  $216.30

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Quachy. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing balustrading.

It's a bit hard to tell from your photos if the post is concreted. The stair stringer (slanted timber piece) wouldn't be, though. You'll soon find out if you dust away that sand and remove a brick.

If there is a solid concrete footer there, you'd likely be able to get away with Dynabolting a bolt-down or T-blade post support. That would save you from having to dig out the footer.

If you are going to the extent of replacing the posts and stringers, then I'd suggest you do the whole lot and replace the treads too. That bottom one especially doesn't look like it's long for this world.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Quachy
Getting Established

Hi Mitchel, wow thanks so much for the detailed explanation and links,

How will I remove the post if I go ahead with using boltdown/Tblade - I would need the surface of the concrete to be smooth flat, do i break off the post and sand the surface down?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A reciprocating saw would likely get you pretty close to flush with the ground @Quachy. You can then sand the area down flat.

I've just noticed the white section under the bricks in your last image. Is this a concrete pad?

Mitchell

Quachy
Getting Established

Hi Mitchel, 

will the process steps change if it is a concrete pad? That's what I think it is, because there's bricks around it and then cement there. I'm heading over today so will be able to get a better look to start inital work

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Quachy

It's difficult to tell until you have the entire thing taken off, there might be a T blade already installed between the post and the stringer. However, if the timber is sunk into the concrete footing, it's going to have to come out if it has started to rot as well. Ideally, the old timber has to be taken out and the gap filled with concrete. When that cures you can then install a galvanized post support for the new post and stringer set.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects