Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace tile grout near pool?

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

How to replace tile grout near pool?

Hi All..

We have Travertine Outdoor tiles and right next to them when the pool was installed travertine tiles were placed around the pool and up against the outdoor area tiles.

When the pool people installed the pool and laid the tiles around and up against the older tiles they grouted sealed, with some type of expanding grout to allow for movement between old and new..!!

Now, the grout is starting to "peel", come loose and I would like to refill the area again with proper grouting (weatherproof)..

I looked at "Crommelin Silicone WP Plus" to perform this task as it appeared to be an excellent waterproofing sealant.

1. Would this be the right product to use...??

2. Would prefer to have a sealant that is CREAM in colour.. Crommelin seems to only come in a WHITE 

3. Would it be easier to just seal over the existing sealant or should I remove the old and refill with the newer one..!!

4. What would be the best way to get this patch done../????

Cheers

Julius20210829_114947.jpg20210829_114957.jpg20210829_115000.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile Grout/Sealant...

Hi Julius (@Jolly181),

It's likely some type of flexible polyurethane sealant they've used. They are considered the next step up from silicones and work better on expansion joints. How long did it last? I suspect that the gap has increased over time as the tiles settled and reached the point of failure for the sealant. Redoing it now with an appropriate product will probably last much longer. We have Sika 600ml Off White Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant, used with a Sika Professional Sausage Caulking Gun. This would be the most economical option if there are several meters worth of gaps to fill. Using the smaller cartridges would be quite expensive. 

To do this repair correctly, you should remove as much of the existing sealant as possible with a trimming knife. Slice on either side of the bead and then come back with another cut at an angle to cut the bead off as deep as you can. The idea is to create as much contact with the substrates as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell @MitchellMc

The pool was installed in 2017 so has been there a while..!!

I will head to Bunnings tomorrow to get the ingredients and then, as always, I will post images of the different stages..!!

Julius

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Shout-out if you get stuck @Jolly181. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi, @MitchellMc  Finally got around to doing the sealant between the tiles..!!  We think the outcome was good..!!

Pictures attached..!! You can see the change from the originals that I posted..!!!!

20210906_125443.jpg20210906_143133.jpg20210906_143139.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks great, @Jolly181!

Many thanks for sharing your result, as I trust any members following this discussion will appreciate it.

Well done!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects