Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore cane swivel chairs?

kate8
Finding My Feet

How to restore cane swivel chairs?

Good morning I have just come across this workshop site I am very excited. I am fixing up two cane swivel chairs.Long overdue project . 
One chair needs some cane coiling on the arm 

I have no idea how to do this . Any advice would 

be appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to restore cane swivel chairs?

Good afternoon @kate8 

I have had the same thought for a few old pieces I have but not yet needing repair.

I have looked into how to repair the cane strapping. (ten years old knowledge so it could be out of date) 

The cane bindings I found at spotlight in the craft area of all things.

A small nail (small flathead nail ) is used to attach the binding at the first point (out fo sight) Look for the shortest nail you can find even.

Soak the cane in hot water until soft, once soft nail the end out of sight and the wind over the join like you would for a bandaged ankle.

Using another nail (which is why you only want the tiniest width nail also) you could fasten it half way through and also at the end of the tail (keeping in mind out of sight for joins/ends)

Supposedly when the cane dries it pulls tight. 

I havnt tried it myself but looked into it hard for my grandmothers seats that look pretty much like yours.

When you remove the old cane wrap (only do one section at a time so it dosnt fall apart) keep an eye out for how they have attached the cane to start with. Maybe they overlap the windings?)

Just had a google of places that sell cane/wicker/webbing. There seems to be a few online but Bunnings and spotlight I am not sure about. I would still troll through spotlight tho just in case.

Dave

Thanks Dave 

that was great advice !!! It all makes sense 

will definitely up date on results 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kate8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about restoring your cane chair.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with his suggestion of using hot water to soften the cane bindings. This should allow you to unbind it and rebind it to make it nice and tight again.

In regards to the restoration part you can either varnish it again or paint it a new colour. But it will require you to sand away the old varnish sealer painted on it.

Here are some fantastic cane restoration projects our Workshop members have shared:

You'll find good suggestions on how to restore your cane furniture.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects