Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore the pergola?

Puma888
Getting Established

How to restore the pergola?

Hi all how do I go about in restoring this pergola. Do i use a high water pressure or sand the wood . Does anyone know what makes the wood  turn orange ? 

1FE618B9-6C28-4A7D-9CE0-DC188E57B57F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: restoring the pergola

Hi @Puma888,

Many thanks for your question I'd be pleased to assist. If you have one available you might like to start by going over the pergola with a high-pressure water cleaner to blast off any debree attached to it. There are some timber cleaners available like Cabot s 4L Deck Clean which are designed to remove stains and rejuvenate greyed exterior timber ready for coating.

The orange colour could be some type of fungal growth which has attached itself to the porous aged timber, not unlike the green algal at the base of the posts.

In your circumstance, the pergola appears that it has had a decent life and perhaps been left to the elements for several years. In order to restore this pergola, I would suggest sanding the timber back to a solid-state and removing the greyed deteriorated surface of it. You can then either paint to protect it or apply an exterior oil and you might like to consider one which comes with a stain included. 

You'll find, although time-consuming, sanding will be necessary to completely restore the look of the timber. It will be very effective and below I have sanded some greyed timber to illustrate.

Let me also mention some of our experienced woodworking members @woodenwookie, @Brad, @r23on, @Stuardo, @LePallet and @Yorky88 who might like to contribute to the conversation on aged timber restoration.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank Mitchell for your response . I think Bunnings hire out high pressure cleaners. I might do that to clean the pergola , fence and the concrete at the same time . Ready to rejuvenate the back yard . If I wanted to paint this  - what kind of paint do I use ? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Puma888,

Just to clarify, are you referring to painting the pergola? If you could please confirm, I'm sure Mitchell and other community members would be more than happy to share their recommendations. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Puma888,

Your local store will be able to advise on the availability of a high-pressure cleaner for this project and I would look at making a booking prior to planning out when you'll be doing the work. 

If you are mentioning painting the pergola I would advise a great quality self-priming exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield. Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. video on How to paint exterior walls which will use the same techniques needed in your project.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects