Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore wooden furniture?

ee
Getting Established

How to restore wooden furniture?

Hi there, is it possible for me to restore one of the outdoor wooden chairs that has turned grey to match back the rest of the table and chairs? If so what do I need to do? I’m hoping for a simple way to get the job done. 
Thank you!

DCE35027-FE92-4647-988A-5E8975A4A6D3.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore wooden furniture?

Hello @ee

Thanks for sharing your question about how to restore wooden furniture. I am a bit curious why that particular chair got exposed to intense weather exposure versus the other three. I recommend using Feast Watson 1L Woodclean. It is a powerful, oxalic acid-based preparation treatment that aids the removal of oils, mould, stains and tannins from new and weathered timber. Ideal for rejuvenating grey, weathered timber, Woodclean is suitable for restoring decking, outdoor furniture, fences, pergolas and other exterior woodwork. It's the ideal cleaner and restorer for your exterior wooden furniture.

I suggest using a Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush in combination with the Feast Watson Woodclean. If you decide to use a pressure washer to wash your furniture just make sure that it is secured and will not fly off and get damaged. Once the chair has been rejuvenated you can now decide how to paint it so that it matches your other three chairs.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck (the techniques used can be used for timber furniture cleaning )

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ee
Getting Established

Re: How to restore wooden furniture?

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply.
I saw someone selling the table and chairs set on marketplace and I’m very interested to get them. In the ad it says one chair need oiling. I wanted to make sure restore the chair and match it back to the set is a job that I’m capable of doing before I buy them. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects